Jestersix

DIY LED light mod

Undoubtably if you have seen this already if you pay any attention to the DIY sections at NR or RC, but if you haven't, here you go.

I have been playing with LED lights for some time. I've already used them to grow plants on a FW tank for a years time very successfully, and already done a controlled growth test vs PC on plants. Now I am expanding this to my BC14. I've had it going for several days now and all is well.

The light is a hybrid upgrade. My BC 14 had the 72watt nanotuners PC upgrade. This project undos that upgrade and replaces with an LED light.

This project was originally going to use 12x emitters, but I scaled it back down to 6. I have photo comparisons showing the 12x light though if you are interested.
I also prefer the light without the optics over the BC14

IMG_2221%20copy.jpg

The Crees puts out about 185 lumens at 700mA and 3.6v or about 2.5watts each...or 15watts and 1110 lumens total for the 6 LED light. I did a series of photo shoots (not int his post) and these LED lights put a lot more effective light into the tank then the PCs (PCs have a lot of losses with spread, restrike, reflections).

Here is the light retrod into the cube.
cree%20retro.jpg

I changed the flow of the fans to just pull air out and mostly sealed up the caps on the air vents. I then added in a couple of vents above the heatsinks to keep cool air blowing in on them. THis works quite well so far.
IMG_2301%20copy.jpg

Now for some tank shots. I have 3 different sets all showing different things.

IMPORTANT INFO!!!
This tank almost crashed recently due to a refractometer problem (go go 1.030 salinity). The corals look bleached cause they are. Fortunately, nothing died and EVERYTHING is recovering perfectly well right now.

Comparison photos

Color representation is fairly accurate
The following is identical: Color Balance, Iso, Aperature, 1x 50/50 24watt PC, 1x actinic 24watt PC

Top: 6x Cree XR-E Q bin @ 700mA (~15watts), Shutter speed = 1/30
Middle: 1x 10,000K 24watt PC, Shutter speed = 1/30
Bottom: 6x Cree XR-E Q bin @ 700mA, Shutter speed = 1/50

Cree%20Comparison%20final.jpg

The shimmer IMO is excellent when the hydor causes surface turbulence.
The color feels very natural. Not too yellow, not too blue (remember, the coral are bleached and recovering). You can easily get more blue blue by changing the 50/50 to an actinic.

Any updates on this diy? I'm thinking of trying to make an "elos mini" style led for my aio but need some info on what is all needed. I just started looking so still working on understanding the lingo and parts needed so any links would be great.

I actually have the hood sitting in a bin unused. I'm using a MH over the tank now because it is only occupies one receptacle on my limited power strip setup right now lol. I've been tempted to start up a new full blown LED setup though. AIO?

Where did you get your LEDs and how much did they cost?

I need some supplemental lighting for my 46 bow (3ft long) and was wondering if I could rig some LEDs to sit on the canopy.

What kind of lighting are you hoping for Sherri? Growth or actinic supplementation? What do you have in there now? I had a 46 bowfront and had a great light setup (I think).

BTW, I think putting any LEDs that will light up something as big as a 46G bowfront will be EXPENSIVE. I looked into LEDs a while back and even DIY is big bucks. Say ~$10 per light for the emitter, power source and heatsink.

Hi Matt,

The 46 is currently my low light tank (92 watts 10,000 K PC and a reg. 20 watt 50/50), but I want to move all my softies to it. Some of them, like my Sarcophytons, require med-med/high light. I think I'll need to double the light output. I was hoping to supplement the lighting without having to pay lots of $$ for a new fixture. The tank is hoodless, so the light has to sit on the canopy or mount with brackets, but there isn't much space left on the sides, especially with the curved front.

Have you ever seen those LED strip lights? they are about $50-$60 for four 1 watt light bulbs. I thought something like that would easily sit on the canopy and not get hot, but I don't know how effective they are at putting out the required amount of light. I thought if Tony or anyone else knew where to get some cheaper "coral" grade LEDs, that might solve my problem.

Any suggestions?

BTW Matt how is your yellow goby/acropora experiment going? I am considering getting one for this tank. :)

Ended up the guy wanted to keep the goby. Que Sera. I have a bunch of other fish coming from other generous members over the next two weeks.

To get any lumens into your tank for growth you'll need much more than 1W LEDS. In my old tank with SPS I had 4x39W T5s and one 75W VHO. Now, you won't need anything close to that but you'll need more than you have and MUCH more than 1W LEDs can provide.

I can help you get started with T5s if you like. It won't be the "prettiest" build but it will pump a ton more light into your tank. What I have is:
2x36" Reflectors
2 Sets of ends (not waterproof, but they'll work)
2 Ballasts

There will be a little bit of building involved but since I did it before I basically know how to do it again. All you'll need to get are the bulbs and some plastic from TAP. Add that to your tank and you'll be good to go.

You can get emitters between 5-10ea depending on various things. For a 46g tank, it will still be a few hundred to do a low light setup.

Your $ and watts figure: Consider that each of those little white LEDs in my setup above, were running at about 2.5 watts each. The light strip you are thinking of, are pretty much just "moonlight" intensity. LEDs can work for small tanks, but for big ones, it just isn't economical right now for the average person.

Thanks Matt! :D

Let me know about compenstion, ok?

So, I would need to pick up 2 36 in. regular T-5 bulbs, and plastic?

Any favorite place for T-5s? I'd normally order them, but that takes a while and I'd end up spending way more money than I wanted to. ;)

How much plastic? Thickness? Does it need to be cut into a particular size and shape by TAP?

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=2789.msg78487#msg78487 date=1233788732]
You can get emitters between 5-10ea depending on various things. For a 46g tank, it will still be a few hundred to do a low light setup.

Your $ and watts figure: Consider that each of those little white LEDs in my setup above, were running at about 2.5 watts each. The light strip you are thinking of, are pretty much just "moonlight" intensity. LEDs can work for small tanks, but for big ones, it just isn't economical right now for the average person.
[/quote]

Thanks Tony, so Matt's solution is probably the best.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=2789.msg78471#msg78471 date=1233782048]
I actually have the hood sitting in a bin unused. I'm using a MH over the tank now because it is only occupies one receptacle on my limited power strip setup right now lol. I've been tempted to start up a new full blown LED setup though. AIO?
[/quote]

Check this out Tony...

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/02/03/big-trouble-brewing-future-aquarium-leds/#more-4332

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2789.msg78491#msg78491 date=1233790170]
[quote author=Gomer link=topic=2789.msg78471#msg78471 date=1233782048]
[/quote]

Check this out Tony...

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/02/03/big-trouble-brewing-future-aquarium-leds/#more-4332

[/quote]

What a bunch of vultures. >:(

Thanks for sharing Gresh....that blows. A few years ago when I made a little DIY FW fixture, I had some people contact me to see about a startup company for making nano fixtures. Glad I didn't!

I've turned done two offers thus far and I am really glad I didn't proceed with either. Both contacted me after me knowing about this case (last year)

AIO = all in one. Nanocube, Aquapod, etc. Any links to where I would find out more about building one? I now know about buckpucks, dimmable power sources, but need more info. Thanks.

Back