Jestersix

DIY LED suggestions please

Im fortunate to have a tech buddy that can build LED arrays, and I would like some suggestions for light combos and other materials I would need. The light will go on a 29gal. I dont plan on SPS but would like to keep nems in there. thanks for the input.

I know there are several others here that know far more than me on the subject so I will let them chime in (and you should value their input more than mine).

I am really a fan of the MakersLED (http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/makersled-designer-heatsink-kit-professional-grade-anodized/ ) for the base of the design. It's super simple and easy. It has a nice look to it and plenty of space.

The general sense that I have gotten recently is you want 2:1 (blue:white). Then you want a few of the other colors (red/ uv/violet etc). Another option I have been reading about lately are multipchip LED's. Typically they don't have the "full spectrum" but are 1:1's. Although the Lumia 5.1 is considered full spectrum and it is tempting me.

So I am latching onto you for a few people to give advice on what they think of the multichips... :)

#1 suggestion, make sure you have multiple channels of control. While it's nice to have a color blend that you like, it's even nicer to be able to turn off certain colors. You know that deep fluorescent glow you get when only your actinics are on? its nice to get that with LEDs too.

#2 suggestion, don't do cool white LEDs, go for a neutral or warm white. All white LEDs are royal blue, with a phosphor coating to add yellows/green/red/orange type ... basically turn it white. If you go with cool white you're stuck with a big blue spike with a tiny amount of "warmer" colors to make it white. If you go with a neutral white, and thinks it looks too warm... then just pile on more royal blues.

#3 it doesn't take much light to keep anemones alive (I won't say happy because the hell if I know if they're happy or not :D). With proper lenses even something as few as 7 LEDs probably could keep bubble tips alive no problem.

Back