Jestersix

DIY MH/T5 fixture

What do you guys think? Do you guys think it's better to use plywood or acrylic for the two ends? The plywood/acrylic is for additional support. I'm going to cover it with a piece of metal. I'm going to paint it too.

Oh the stand is for the turtle's tank :D ..
DIYpendant.jpg

Yeah I think so too.. Hopefully I can come home early tomorrow so I cut the wood. I will post more pics after I'm done with it. Hopefully it will come out ok.

Is "both" an acceptable answer? Wood is easy to work with but is susceptible to water damage. Acrylic has some limitations as a working material but resists water 100%. I built a light stand with acrylic "legs" and a plywood top. Now, if you are planning a pendant then I say wood all the way.

Not worried about "falling" into the tank, but condensation and salt creep will get any wood close to the top of your tank. If you plan on making a "hood" I can draw up the EASY way to make plexi legs. Seriously, it is insanely easy and will ensure you have no water damage. Also, it makes sure your stand is rock solid on top of the tank.

I would go with wood as well since it is much easier to attach to the metal. If you seal it real good it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah I'm going to use wood.

It's for the 40G tank that I'm setting up. It's going to house a PFO pendant and 2xT5s retrofit. The T5 light is the reason why I'm making this. A nice MH+T5 combo fixture costs too much.

Looking good! Personally, I'd paint the inside of every hood bright white. Any light not caught by the reflector will reflect of white paint WAY WAY better than black :p You paid for each lumen afterall :p

edit: lol. I was so tunnel visioned that I only saw the MH part in the wood encloser. I didn't see the t5 setup etc etc.

I will have a fan blow into the fixture. If that's not enough I will make holes for heat to come out..

Yeah Mike.. I have to take it apart to hook it up.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5245.msg66503#msg66503 date=1228068481]
I will have a fan blow into the fixture. If that's not enough I will make holes for heat to come out..

Yeah Mike.. I have to take it apart to hook it up.
[/quote]

glass covering main opening?

If the fan blows in from the side, and theres no directed exit, wont the heated air be directly down to the tank?

I dident see what size bulb u were gonna use, 150W?

How far from the tank top are you going to hang the fixture?

OMG, sooo many questions....sorry ;D

What type of ballast are you using?

the glass only cover the MH. I know heat would be a problem. I just don't know how bad it is until I turn it on. It's a PIB to drill holes into the metal sheet. My drill bit worn out after 4 holes or so :( .. That's why I want to wait until it's complete and I will test to see how much heat there is. If it's too hot, I will buy a metal cutter for my dremel to cut the slots..

Got the fans installed.. The holes are not totally round but that's the best I can do without the proper cutting tool... Going to hang it tonight.. will get some more shots :)
fixturefan.jpg

Back