got ethical husbandry?

DIY Part and Tools suggestions

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
Hi All,

I know we've all done some nice DIY projects, so I thought I'd start a thread where we could catalog some of the common and not so common tools and parts we all use. I'll start:
1. PVC pipe - IPS/SCH 200 is better than SCH 40. More interior volume, easier to cut.
2. PVC glue - Christy's Red Hot Blue glue is nice and is only a 1 part adhesive istead of 2
3. Deans Plugs - These increadibly nice plugs are used in RC Cars and make great connectors for DIY hoods/fans
4. Craftsman Heat Gun - Great for bending acrylic and pvc
5. Dremel - If it can do it, you probably don't need it done ;D
6. Loctite Gel - The best frag glue I can find anywhere
7. In line circuit breakers - When you have maxed you powerstrips and need to build your own power panel, these little things allow individual control of all of your breakers. Pacific Electronics in Concord

OK, that's just my beginning. I'm sure I'll think of more. I look forward to everyone elses ideas and suggestions.

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=1833.msg17384#msg17384 date=1173819163]
Hi All,

I know we've all done some nice DIY projects, so I thought I'd start a thread where we could catalog some of the common and not so common tools and parts we all use. I'll start:
1. PVC pipe - IPS/SCH 200 is better than SCH 40. More interior volume, easier to cut.
2. PVC glue - Christy's Red Hot Blue glue is nice and is only a 1 part adhesive istead of 2
3. Deans Plugs - These increadibly nice plugs are used in RC Cars and make great connectors for DIY hoods/fans
4. Craftsman Heat Gun - Great for bending acrylic and pvc
5. Dremel - If it can do it, you probably don't need it done ;D
6. Loctite Gel - The best frag glue I can find anywhere
7. In line circuit breakers - When you have maxed you powerstrips and need to build your own power panel, these little things allow individual control of all of your breakers. Pacific Electronics in Concord

OK, that's just my beginning. I'm sure I'll think of more. I look forward to everyone elses ideas and suggestions.
[/quote]

1. "PVC pipe - IPS/SCH 200 is better than SCH 40. More interior volume, easier to cut." Is this the same stuff as thin wall?
2. Hot melt glue gun - nice temp fixes. It can help with holding wires in place.
3. Solder and Soldering iron - works well for connecting/repairing float switches, fans, lighting, other electrical connections
Shrink tubing for keeping spliced wires connected once soldered.
4. Wire nuts if you need to go with something more temporary

(Please do not twist wires together and use electrical tape as a be all and end all) - I spent half an hour last week changing out a mogul socket on an old Lumenarc fixture which should have taken ten minutes.

5. Plumbers Goop can work well in a pinch to stop leaky bulk-heads
6. Dremel or Dremel-like tool with diamond cut-off blade cuts through stuff like butter

Back