Cali Kid Corals

DIY Stand?

This is a DBTC club not a DIY stand club man ;D ..

I made couple. Not that great but extremely strong. Whatever you do, don't over build it too much. My damn stand weight a lot more than my 210G glass tank.

Yeah, I noticed yesterday that the DBTC thread is going like crazy.

I've built stands before and would like to see it anyone out here has a great looking stand (not your everyday LFS stand).

I saw some great stand on RC. The question is how good you are with wood ;D ..

here is one that I really like..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1213499&perpage=25&pagenumber=12

202_Top_Section.jpg

i built mine for my tank . i have pics but cant figure how to post them yet . ill try again later . I took lumber from a 100 year old redwood water tank, planed it down , joined ,etc. etc. it supports a 100g and the idea is not to get into over kill but to make it strong . 1 1/8 top and bottom (i had it laying around, but over kill ) 1/2 inch back , all the redwood is 1"thick . for the most part the im happy with it but i am picky about my work .

I built mine for my 135g glass tank and probably over engineered it by a lot, like phong it probably weighed more than the glass tank! Skinned it with a very thin oak plywood to make it look pretty, never did finish the trim pieces before I sold the whole thing, but that's because I was trying to use a finish nailer to nail into some VERY hard oak and it just was not working at all.

Yeah looks nice, sorry for the stupid question though, right after I hit send I looked at it and figured there's no way wood that thin could whole a 210! :D

No issues with any corrosion or anything with only paint? DIY on the welding? I'm tempted to do that as well for any large tank I go to next, problem is I don't have the right tools to weld well :D

no, no issues with corrosion. I used a rustolium based primer(several coats) and same flat black paint(several coats). And yes it was DIY on the welding. Brought home the welder from work. :) It took Mike (sulcata1619) and I about 2 hours to cut all the peices out of 20' sticks, and probably another 4-5 hrs of welding and grinding. It was relitively easy, but i would deffinitly say you need the right tools for the job.

Back