Kessil

DIY sulfur denitrator links?

How many people have a denitrator running long term? I had one for about 6mo before I give it to Lapson. It was a mid-west product and I was afraid it would clog when I went on vacation. Since it did all the time. >:(

So Ive had my DIY denitrator on for a week. Actually I had it on longer with just seachem matrix and no sulfur. I was hoping to speed up the bacterial development. I didnt have high nitrates to begin with. About 5-10ppm. My denitrator has been on 1 drop per second since setting it up. My tank nitratetested today as 0 or undetectable.

So I guess Ill leave it at 1 drop a second.

No clogging yet, Im using a quiet one 1200 pump for recirculating and had to put a foam cover near the top because the recirculation was strong enough to make it look like a phosban reactor where the media was tumbling. The one drop a second has been pretty steady using a needle valve on the output.

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=3463.msg40593#msg40593 date=1208189476]
[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=3463.msg40212#msg40212 date=1207864123]
The sulfur is to to strip the water of O2.
[/quote]

Where did I read this. I got to find that article.
[/quote]

Any luck?

I have been running the reactor at 1 drip for a couple weeks. I messed with it, so it really has been going unmolested for about a week. The nitrate coming out of it is testing at 5 ppm.

I have also been dosing the ceph system with sugar/vodka. Over the last two weeks the nitrate has dropped from 70+ to about 15.

Back