Cali Kid Corals

DIY Sump

Decided to jump into building my own sump from scratch. Minor flaw is 3/8" longer on one side; I can live with that :)
Been looking for a cheap 40B but could not find one (hey, cheap enough for me)
The plexi is still from the kind donation by my sister; 3/8" thick cell cast.
Looked at regular sump design with bubble traps/baffles but did not like the real estate they took and I wanted a big fuge, skimmer section big enough to hold a nice skimmer and give me options for other ones too. Issue was how to keep micro-bubbles from entering the return pump area.
So far it works flawless, no microbubbles, fuge does not leak to either compartment and instead of the regular teeth, plain routed/cut ~6" for the flow to go in the skimmer section. Water passes to the return under a routed gap too. Had issues testing with fresh water so cleaned and tested one of my skimmers with a lot of gunk in vinegar.
Still making mistakes when dealing with plexi but this is the second tank and am happy of the results of both, the prop tank and this filtration unit.
Been trying to flame polish and already feeling comfortable but not going to risk it so I'll read some more about the hows, dos and don'ts. Box is 28 (28 3/8 one side) x 17 x 16
I had to go with 28 because of the base; it was the left over plexi from the flange made for the frag tank; not close to a 40B as I had in mind but was able to fit a BM 200 and the bigger brother BM 250.
Next is to polish the plexi; most of the pieces were peeled off the protective paper but being free who can complain? I'm thinking of making a bracket for ATO and one for probes (not that I use them much)

0518000915.jpg

0518000912.jpg

0521001347.jpg

0521001347a.jpg

0521001348.jpg

Back