Neptune Aquatics

DIY T-5 Choices

I am interested in replacing my reefbrite LEDs w/ a t-5 setup in my canopy.

I have been looking at the icecap setup 6 bulb.. but I have questions.
Do I need to run icecap bulbs to get good bulblife?
Is the extra output worth the extra $ you spend setting up icecap because of the brand name?

The tank is a 120 mixed reef.

Hi,

I've run T5's with and without Ice Cap Ballasts. Here are my general comments, and you can decide what makes sense for you.

1. Ice Cap ballasts will shorten the life of the bulbs, and you will need to cool them actively.
2. The bulbs when over driven, do produce more light, but, in most cases, this is not totally necessary. If your tank is 24" deep or more, and you have primarily SPS corals, then Ice cap may be a good idea.
3. I have used ATI bulbs, blue plus and aquablue special almost exclusively, both with Ice Cap and without, to great success.

So, with a 120 mixed, I would say that the Ice Cap, Is NOT necessary. Its more money, more electricity, and diminishes bulb life. That said, most people dont regret going with more light, and so you need to figure out what your tank plans will be and go from there.

+1 to what Kyle said above. If you don't have a tall tank then you really don't need to use ice caps. Accustart triads are good t5 ballasts.

I was going to setup this tank w/ all reffbrites.
I started w/ 2 48in 50/50. Then I added a 48in all blue.
Within 2 mos, 1/4 the blue fixture went out.
I emailed reefbrite about it. They didnt even respond to me.
My vendor emailed them and they responded to them and copied me.
The email was asking baout what they covered since I just bought it.
Reefbrites responce to the vendor was not very impressive on the customer service front.
They do not warrenty the lights . They only cover return shipping.

Since I have to take off lights to get it fixed, I want to add lights first.
If there customer service didnt blow, I would have just bought another reefbrite. But there service does blow, so I cant spend any more money on them.

Other than that, they are great.

I would be interested i looking at your reefbrites and either trading you for them or selling you parts for an icecap system.
I have an icecap 660, wiring harness and endcaps/stand offs for (4) bulbs. Reflectors are 3' and need love. Its a good start.

Blue + bulbs in the icecap 660 are awesome IMHO.

It is warm in the canopy but not hot. Nothing has been wet and the rest are working fine.

Kinda wierd that a single group of the LED would quit and not the whole strip.

I'd like to see their schematic for the circuitry.

if the warranty is up, open it up...

i also would be willing to trade a 660 ballast endcaps wirring harness and 4 foot reflectors for 1 reefbrite. may evem have 4 bulbs in good shape as well. my ballast was a 07 or 08 build date but i havent used it much

Back