DIY Wavebox and Youtube Video of it in action

Discussion in 'DIY' started by bljohnson, Jun 15, 2008.

1. bljohnson

bljohnson Guest

Check this out!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=1b9293bb3d69053f4f08568ca1502f99&threadid=1411393

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Saw that, however the whole cost of the project revolves around around being able to find a 6100 at $200 which he claims can easily be done "they're all over the place" but good luck in being quick enough to snatch one up at that price.

I do love one of the comments in the section though, from person who obviously only knows about freshwater side of things :D

3. bljohnson

bljohnson Guest

Good point on the 6100 cost. I also didn't see him mention how he attached the box to the tank. DIY magnets?

4. Elite

Elite Guest

That's the Tunze magnet

5. Paradox

Paradox Guest

Id pay the extra money just to get a vortech for a wave, so I dont have a big box in the tank. =)

6. Elite

Elite Guest

You have two in your tank. Can you produce any wave with two of those??

7. Paradox

Paradox Guest

I havent played with it too much because im too impatient to keep adjusting and waiting for a minute each time, but I have made a 1 inch wave or so just playing around. Im sure I can get a little bigger if I tried. My tank is 6 feet long though so Im not going to get the giant wave like in this video.

Im afraid of my tanks seems busting after a couple of years, so I just stick with Reef Crest mode.

You can also find used Vortechs everynow and then now, so the cost difference between this project and a vortech isnt all that great.