High Tide Aquatics

DkH vs ALK ?

[quote author=reefermadness link=topic=6538.msg84185#msg84185 date=1235534210]
thats surface. take a sample from 2 inches above a coral in red sea or gbr. it will be higher.
[/quote]

Link?

BTW the Red Sea runs around 1.027-8 salinity....

that would be me. i went. part of a trip from my JC. voluntary student project. yes it does run that high. but why im running it higher is part of a different reason. im examining the difference in running closer to what i observed in the ocean. for extensive purposes, since this discussion wont end, run 8-11. 8)

[quote author=reefermadness link=topic=6538.msg84193#msg84193 date=1235534830]
RIP- ismoketrees420...you have new life like a phoenix.

from the ashes i shall build anew.
[/quote]

ah so you are the guy that smoke too much ;D ..

no, cant u read...that personality died...im renewed. and ild prefer to let that past go. i want to contribute positively and not detract from the conversation. thanks

[quote author=reefermadness link=topic=6538.msg84193#msg84193 date=1235534830]
that would be me. i went. part of a trip from my JC. voluntary student project. yes it does run that high. but why im running it higher is part of a different reason. im examining the difference in running closer to what i observed in the ocean. for extensive purposes, since this discussion wont end, run 8-11. 8)
[/quote]

When you are talking alk it is closely tied to SG. I'm not saying running your tank at a higher DkH than NSW doesn't have benefits, I'm just trying to get some info as to where you are getting your info other than firsthand observation, which BTW, I have two decades of experience and doesn't always correlate with NSW levels ;).

this is very true. which is more or less why im experimenting it. and btw, so far i love the results on my SPS. i do run my SG higher as well. try to keep close to 1.026-1.027 +/- .001. my softies are growing, but not as fast as they should/could be. so its a give an take. trying to fine tune it still.

some1 want to come take picts? i dont have a camera. i`m a college student...since ive done this my pagoda has grown quite quickly as well as my birdnest and monti and acro. then begun to encrust the bases and grow larger, all under PC. i had them for 6 months with very little growth under the same exact setup. but lower alk and salinity. ild love to have pictures taken tho, once a month just to see. hard to believe just words with no picts....

:eek: wow 14-19.. your the first reefer i ever heard having your Alk that high. I'll be interested on reading some research stating higher DKH (above 14-19DKH equals to faster growing and healthier corals. ;D

I'm a newbie, so i'm all about short cuts.. I want my twigs to become colonies. So, if you could send me some info that would be great! thanks ;D

not for noobs. this is a very controlled environment...remember, patience is a virtue. there are no "shortcuts". or at least none you should take, they are almost always bad in the long run. which is why this isnt my main tank.

Back