High Tide Aquatics

DkH vs ALK ?

[quote author=reefermadness link=topic=6538.msg84227#msg84227 date=1235537485]
he got caught tryin to take shortcuts by the person he got em from it appears. i warned u!! :)
[/quote]
I think Aldie was trying to poke fun at Ed. Ed (drdoolittle) is not a newbie.

[quote author=reefermadness link=topic=6538.msg84229#msg84229 date=1235537555]
wasnt like that. a bunch of us from the class went for a vacation, and did this while we were out there. it wasnt for credit.
[/quote]

So it was a vacation now, not a student project?

How do you know your Alk is that high when you don't even have a test kit??

[quote author=reefermadness link=topic=6538.msg84057#msg84057 date=1235517383]
i agree with that. it was hard to locate that one piece by searching. ill have to look into how old the info that i read was, and re-examine it from there. i guess the first step would be to get my water tested and even see how my levels are. any shops local to union landing that will test water free?
[/quote]

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6538.msg84233#msg84233 date=1235537622]

i agree with that. it was hard to locate that one piece by searching. ill have to look into how old the info that i read was, and re-examine it from there. i guess the first step would be to get my water tested and even see how my levels are. any shops local to union landing that will test water free?
[/quote]
[/quote]

LOL, its being monitored closely though.

For some reason, i read that also. but didnt occur to me to ask that question. Good question.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6538.msg84233#msg84233 date=1235537622]

[/quote]
[/quote

ok...
1st. i call a project like a trip. it was a project in a sense for me. you think a school would pay for students from OC to fly to the red sea for a project when we have catalina where u can dive right off our coast? i went to observe how to make my tanks more similar to real life, as far as speed of flow, placement in the reef, water movement and species.

2nd. when i did test i would test every day, 2x a day for many months. you start to learn at what intervals you must dose. give water loss, and water changes based on what levels your premix or NSW are. i keep my levels between those areas. since i just moved up here i have no access to testing anymore, but i know they maintain between those areas. am i 100% it isnt more or less than than those numbers? not 100% but pretty darn sure (98%, im never 100% confident of anything anymore).

as far as doolittle...ooops...had no idea. wuz totally just playing.

is it me or does it seem like im being attacked by a pack of hungry wolves in here?

so, im just gonna go back to my hole....climb in and get comfy until this blows over...

here u go people that are haters
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm
another reason to have higher alk...reduces nitrates.

There are several reasons to have above NSW alkalinity, all of which are basically sound reasons:

1. Better pH stability because of the buffering of the carbonate/bicarbonate.

2. Faster growth of some calcifying corals.

3. Less likelihood of going below 2.5 meq/L alkalinity before the next addition of alkalinity supplement.

4) Higher alkalinity allows corals to calcify in high nutrient water such as found in a home aquarium. Marlin Atkinson's students have shown this to be true in work done at Biosphere II.

oh ya, the author of that article...ya, he wrote the reasons why to have higher...not i. i wont take credit for it. and like i said, my sps are growing very well.

[quote author=reefermadness link=topic=6538.msg84257#msg84257 date=1235539382]
here u go people that are haters
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm
another reason to have higher alk...reduces nitrates.
[/quote]

That link does not say higher kh reduced nitrates. It says that higher kH allows coral to calcify at higher nitrates. The value they use is 4.5 meq/L or 12.6 dkH.

i meant reduced the effects of it. and yes, he does use 4.5, and...? let me continue looking through more of the material i have for more info...

...but in the mean time...back to the hole.

*seriously regretting throwing my 2 cents into this topic*

That article was written in 2003, maybe that is what was thought to be good at that time. Alot of different thinking has evolved over the years, not to say anything long time ago is wrong. And I also agree with Norman on the higher dkh having faster coral growth but leading to thinner weaker tissue with corals in the long run as I also read that article.

[quote author=reefermadness link=topic=6538.msg84259#msg84259 date=1235539442]
oh ya, the author of that article...ya, he wrote the reasons why to have higher...not i. i wont take credit for it. and like i said, my sps are growing very well.
[/quote]

Can't wait to see some pictures someday...

Every one has there own own opinions and everyone likes to keep their tank at different levels depending on what you have in there. I mean I have one of tanks at a DKH of around 12.5 ish which has been perfect for me the past 10 years. The SPS thrive and so the LPS and everyone is happy. I mean its hard to come up with a certain dkh with people buying so many corals from different parts of world. Tonga is a bit away from Bali and the waters near each of those places call for different dkh and even salinity. the best we all can do is just find what works best for our tank and stick to it. Can't we all just get along, after all this is a place to help and benefit people and not scrutinize other people ways. ;) ;D ;D

We just want some prove that's all.. You don't have a test kits but you said you're pretty sure what your level are. That is very hard to believe.

BTW, Who the heck bring test kits with them when they go on vacation??

Back