got ethical husbandry?

DkH vs ALK ?

we were on a scientific dive boat, obviously you havent been on one. they r alot of fun. and u can learn alot.

when u test twice a day, every day, dont you start to learn patterns of your tank. especially if everything stays the same?

Since your coral grow so good, don't you have to dose more?? If so how do you know how much more to add?? I bet you can tell what the salinity is by tasting the water..

[quote author=Ocean Treasures Aquarium link=topic=6538.msg84305#msg84305 date=1235543715]
I bring mine every place i go! :D :D i don't dive unless the dhh is 12 and a temperature of 78 degrees. :D
[/quote]

Do you also bring along your refractometer? Make sure its calibrated right. :)

or you could have a hydrometer. i did break it down, and i do use NSW from up here. and i used NSW down south. i should get it tested because ive begun seeing more growth so im not sure exactly at what levels they are at. thats why i ask.

smart ass responses get u nowhere. and i dont understand why every1 is really jumping on my case. i offered what i have been keeping it at, and what i had observed and read. then it suddenly becomes the biggest issue on the planet because it doesnt follow the staus quo. well let me inform you that it often takes outside thinking outside the norm in order to find out new thing. so i dont understand how you could not be civil. thats what really confuses me. what works for u is ur deal. i simply offered what i do, didnt want to create a big freakin issue out of this whole process. but to be snide and arrogant isnt being a reefer i would want to associate with and i am almost ashamed to be associated with anything that your a part of simply because you cant be constructive. as reefers we should be able to offer insight into our process and be open to questions, but when the questions become attacks it becomes a nuisance. if you dont agree with me fine, i never expected every1 to, but to be childish is ridiculous.

I`m ashamed to be called a fellow reefer of you

Im sure people on here do not mean anything by it. I think sometimes we all get wrapped up in the moment and forget why we are here sometimes and that is to give advice and get advice and to help each other as a whole. :)

Many of us Im sure want to think that we know more than the other and seem correct in our own eyes, but its really up to whom ever started the post to decide what to do at the end. ;D Im not putting your methods down nor do I want to argue with you because what you do works for you and that all that matters :D So keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about other guys on here. We all got our own thing going on!

Happy reefing everyone! ;)

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6538.msg84308#msg84308 date=1235543897]
Since your coral grow so good, don't you have to dose more?? If so how do you know how much more to add?? I bet you can tell what the salinity is by tasting the water..
[/quote]

oh ya...that seems like a logical comment...

I never said anything about how you keep your tank. Everyone has their own way and there is no right or wrong to keep a reef tank. What seem wrong to you might work for others or the other way around. I'm just asking how do you know what the level is when you don't test. Keep dosing the same amount everyday doesn't mean the level is the same. Everytime you do WC the level is different. When your coral grow bigger, they require more. If you said your coral are doing great but you don't know what the levels, it easier to believe. But don't freaking say you keep your alk at certain level but don't even have a test kit. ::)

why do u think i said i need to test it, cuz im not 100% sure, and i also mentioned, especially since they are doing so well. i`m basing my current doses off what my previous dose is, which was to keep it at 11, and then use some math to figure out how much more to add to bump up the levels. like i said, its a range. being curious is one thing, how u phrase it is another.

[quote author=Ocean Treasures Aquarium link=topic=6538.msg84326#msg84326 date=1235546307]
Im sure people on here do not mean anything by it. I think sometimes we all get wrapped up in the moment and forget why we are here sometimes and that is to give advice and get advice and to help each other as a whole. :)

Many of us Im sure want to think that we know more than the other and seem correct in our own eyes, but its really up to whom ever started the post to decide what to do at the end. ;D Im not putting your methods down nor do I want to argue with you because what you do works for you and that all that matters :D So keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about other guys on here. We all got our own thing going on!

Happy reefing everyone! ;)
[/quote]

Wow... you're such a great peacekeeper... good form! Could I get you to come to my house and mediate between my two kids? ;D

reefermadness... I've been part of several reefing forums and this is by far the most laid back chill community I've ever been a part of.... BUT... you do have many knowledgable people here that subscribe heavily to the Clubs mission statement of "... seek(ing) to promote, foster and encourage EDUCATION and appreciation for the ETHICAL husbandry and propagation of marine life." So naturally if someone comes on here and says... for instance... that they are going to start experimenting with keeping anemones in tanks with 80+ppm Nitrate levels or claim that the actual pH of the ocean is 18 based upon some old book they read or shaky story of some trip they took to do an ocean study.... you better believe you are going to get a response and that you are going to be asked to support your claims. (for the benefit of all... and to help keep other people from applying bad practices) If you don't support your claims with anything but still insist on being right no matter what.... well... you know what happens...

This is a great club with lots of people who can and want to help...

it was the questions, its the way they were phrased. like i said, being attacked isnt something i very much appreciate. and you cant say the way that some of the comments were 100% conducive to that mission policy of ENCOURAGING education. many of the comments were explicitly derogatory. you can tell who follows that policy simply by the way in which they conduct themselves in the phrasing of their comments. to truly foster this idea of the mission policy then making appropriate and constructive comments would be a great place to start.

All this has fostered is a stand back, passive attitude. why would i want to expose myself to this type of behavior again? im simply offering what i`m doing, not telling any1 to follow it. and i am attacked.

had i stated that my corals were dying that would be one thing. but i clearly said, my corals are growing! so if some1 can keep anemones in 80+ppm nitrate and they are propagating why should they not try it. if it kills them thats one thing, but if they are growing and doing well, thats another. education is also about experimentation within reason. having a PH of 18 is obviously insane! having a higher than accepted value of alkalinity is outside the norm but not outside of operating conditions.

this whole experience has left me a little salty
(pun was intended)

If you ever meet me or have met me Im a pretty mellow dude. Im young probably younger than half the people on here! ;D
Im 25 but have been keeping fish and corals since I was about 15. I worked at Nippon when they are open and learned a great deal from the old guys! :D Im not a know it all but I will give my best advice not based on what i have done, but what I think will work best for you! :D

Remember when we all first started how excited we all were about keeping corals and fish alive! Thats what I like to see when people come into my store! I have a few members on here that i started their tanks off a few years ago and look them! Going from a 14 gallon biocube toa 120 reef with starfire tank, bubble king skimmer, Kalk reactor! Man oh man how we all have grown! if this sounds corny toy ou I know Ive been up for the past 24 hours! ??? ??? ??? ???

This is one DEEP post...mann..

Ed if your a newb then I need to learn how to be a newb..lol...

Phong, your like a vietnamese Manny Paquiao bro...get some sleep =D

reefer, spend the $10 bucks on a test kit mann....youll find its WAYYY easier than any type of current calculations your currently running with less margin for error. When i first started our tank up, i thought "there has to be some sort of mathamatical equation to this whole thing" and set up an IV drip system for the tank. all major parameters were covered, but to my avail, things went to crap...calculating the calcification rate of multiple species in a tank along with the increasing need of supplementation is a major PITA...

While a happy meal might satisfy a person at 3 years of age, the same happy meal might not have the same effect when he/she is 30 years old....calculating the basic caloric need on a day by day basis and feeding a growing child is similar to what you are currently implementing..as our corals grow, they require more of everything...making that work in an equation with so many variables would become unrealistic after a while..

Now getting a test kit is kinda like turning to that same happy meal kid and asking "are you hungry?" ....after testing, youll know right away what you need to add or discontinue adding. Itll save time and effort on your part..i calculate doses of antineoplastic agents with a very narrow thereputic range for chemotherapy patients everyday, but refuse to find an equation that suits my tank...HTH

ok, i use to use api or salifert. just get one of them again? i like the api reef test system as it had all the test in one kit. any recommendations? when i hit the fish stores this weekend ill make it happen. just kinda laggin on it, been a lil lazy...

[quote author=FinalPhaze987 link=topic=6538.msg84352#msg84352 date=1235549709]
Phong, your like a vietnamese Manny Paquiao bro...get some sleep =D
[/quote]

Nah I don't need sleep.. I know what I need to do though.... Anyone got a lighter??

Back