Kessil

Do hermit crabs or snails eat clams?

I put in a Crocea Clam 3 days ago.
Water levels great. Tank 10 months old.

Clam was coming out and looking great for 2 days. Then came home and it looked all shriveled up!
Wife says she saw 6 or so shells all on the clam so it was either my hermit crabs or snails or a mix of both.

Now clam 'meat' is totally gone... floating around the tank and the shell is left clean.

I can't figure out if it got stressed from crabs or snails trying to eat it (if they do to begin with) or if it didn't really acclimate well and just decided to give up or what!

Am open to getting another clam to try to acclimate it... but don't want to even try maximas or another Crocea if any of my inhabitants will try to get at it... I don't think I've ever heard of crabs or snails eating clams... so wonder if any of my fish had anything to do with it...

Stocked with 2 percula clowns, 1 small damsel, 1 midas blenny, 1 powder blue tang, 1 rabbit fish, 1 mystery wrasse, 1 carpenter flasher wrasse, 1 yellow coris wrasse.

If anything, I may suspect any of my wrasses nipping at my clam but again, I never heard of them doing this.

Thoughts?

Thanks! =)

I had the same think happen to me way back. I believe the response was that the clean up crew just cleaned up what nature already started.... I'll see if I can find the thread.

Man... that sucks... I find it hard to believe its condition degraded so quickly as it was looking good for 2 days.

Would be great if you could send that thread over ;-)

Back