Do you want an extra frag swap per year?

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Coral reefer, Aug 27, 2016.

?

do you want another frag swap per year?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2016.
  1. Yes, another just like the 2 we currently have would be great!

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Not really, 2 is plenty for me...

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  3. Yeah, and I think it should be for high end nice corals exclusively!

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Sure, but we should focus on beginner corals and not have bonus rounds etc...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Just testing the waters as to what people want out of their club as far as frag swaps go.
    Currently we have 2 per year. A members only swap where supporting membership is required, lunch is free, less people come, and it is more of a reward for being a member.
    And a regional swap that is open to anybody and generally has a higher attendance.
    In the recent past we have added bonus rounds for high end corals and it has been a hit for some and a miss for others.
    Now you can make your opinion heard with this poll. If there should have been another option please post in the thread what you want to see.
    I make no guarantee that any action will be taken, but if the results show that people want more and or different frag swaps then we may make some changes in the future.

2. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

3. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I'm not sure a third is needed but maybe convert the members one to a bonus/ultra one. I like the idea of the high end swap.

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the swaps took the most work/manpower to put on of any of the events.

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

There was one "high end" swap that was done by outside of BAR events (similar to tank tour), it basically involved someone stating a coral they wanted, and someone who had it would state it, and then that person would get to state what coral they wanted, and it would repeat. The rules were (if memory serves) you would bring 3 corals, 2 of the one you stated you had, and a 3rd one, one of the 2 corals would go to the person who requested it so that person absolutely gets a coral they want, and the other corals go into a "swap" type setting.

Now there were no rules about what you could want, and this was before the "every fricking thing had a name" fad that currently exists so you could just state "I want a non-common color morph of a chalice" or something then some back and forth pops up and eventually the person would say "yup that one" (I got in on this with a blue favia with red eyes and green mouths... I miss that coral :( ). And the person starting the whole thing had to have a good range of stuff because the last person in the swap would need a coral too to which the first person would bring 2 of that coral plus 1 extra.

There was I want to say about 10-12 of us, we met up at Ocean Treasures in SF (back when they were in business as a store), everyone came with 3 corals, everyone went home with 3 corals including what they really wanted. This worked out fairly well as a "high end" swap, and actually managed to get me into some higher end corals simply because I had one coral that was desired (mind you this was back when the "deep water acro" was just coming into the scene).

So while I doubt a "high end" swap would really benefit most of the club at all, it is something that someone could take it upon themselves to set up and do like tank tours, or Dick's party. As it would be a bit of a shame to put BAR resources (and man power) to hold an event for a tiny group of people.

Coral reefer likes this.
  5. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

One thing we used to do ( in another club ) was there was almost always a coral swap after each meeting. We met in restaurants ( or anywhere really ) and people would say I have this to bring , does anyone have something to trade? Or I have this for sale is anybody interested? For me 2 official swaps is more than enough.

Geneva and Coral reefer like this.
  6. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

I like when we had speed swap at one of our meetings

7. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

My suggestion is to keep to 2 swaps. Convert the members only to no bonus rounds and see where we go from there.

8. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

I like 2. More time for people to grow out corals since I am not a fan of microscopic frags. We also have DBTC as an option any time. Question - is it frowned upon to offer frags for trade on the forum when a swap is not coming up soon?

Geneva and Coral reefer like this.
  9. Yippee

Yippee Supporting Member

I can barely grow frags within a 6 month period, so twice a year is fine with me.

I would think the supporting member swap should not be limited to just ultra and bonus corals.
    All supporting members should be able to participate. Not all members will have these corals or may be interested in them.
    Maybe just have one ultra/bonus round and the regular rounds as usual.

10. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

All supporting members are able to come to the regional swap. I don't have any of these corals personally either.

11. travis furia

travis furia Guest

Yes one maybe 2 more swaps one high end nice corals and one more regular swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BPro32

BPro32 Guest

So I may have read the instructions for this one wrong but from my understanding

13. BPro32

BPro32 Guest

Oops hit send too early. From my understanding it was required to bring frags to participate. Is it possible to create a frag "swap" where people just sell frags? I think that would open it up to more participants.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    tankguy likes this.
  14. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I've not yet been able to bring frags from my tank so I just purchase a few frags on my way to the swap. I just pick whatever I would want in my tank.

15. travis furia

travis furia Guest

I like this idea. I know there are some people out there that will over price there coral and make it hard to buy then and there r the people that sell there stuff for $5 a frag and then a few people buy all the frags before others have a chance. But there may be a way around that or maybe it really doesn't matter. But I love this concept because there is a lot of stuff in other members tanks that I really want but at a frag swap u usual only get one coral that you really want before the good ones get taken. So this would give me a chance to buy the ones I wanted but couldn't get

16. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

I love this idea. An actual club swap meet and sell. A club convention if you will. Corals and equipment. You could do it along with a small event such as the JesterSix event or with a guest speaker.

17. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Just ask the person from where the frag came from. Chances are they'd be happy to cut you a frag if possible. Or may offer to sell you a frag.

Coral reefer, travis furia and Geneva like this.
  18. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Well frag swaps in california are different than rest of the country. In other places when clubs have frag swaps its pretty much a small Reef-a-Palooza where people bring corals to sell and they invite a bunch of vendors.

Changing the frag swap to a flea market would kill frag swaps as WE know it.

You will not see the generosity of people donating frags or selling them for cheap. People will not put any nice corals into the traditional fragswap because they would have sold them.

The frag swap is our fun way of trading corals while the club is indirectly encouraging the aquacultural propagation of corals at home and hopefully reducing our need for harvesting wild coral.

Let show you some examples:

Vincent put 2 cb flaming bugatti chalices into the frag swap as a Raffle Prize/Frag Swap coral. He also brought like 9 other bonus corals. He couldve just sold these on craigslist and made like 600$.

I brought like 15 corals. I couldve just sold these on craigslist/facebook for 300$ instead of putting them in the frag swap.

Did I or vincent go home with hundreds of dollars in coral? Nope. So why did we put our corals in the frag swap? Generosity, sharing corals, promoting a fun event.

Add money into the mix and youll probably see an increase in garage coral shops gaining wholesale access to wild corals so they can make money at the coral flea market.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Coral reefer, Newjack, Baykes and 2 others like this.
  19. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

I, too, am NOT in favor of morphing a frag swap into a frag marketplace. There are already stores and individual sellers out there. Frag swaps are for sharing and fun. Although I do not get everything I want, it keeps me coming back with excitement seeking elusive corals I have seen at swaps. To me, it is like collecting baseball cards - fun when you trade with friends and turns not fun when people just buy and sell to complete a collection all at once. I guess it goes along with people's different reefkeeping styles, too.
    I do think adding a used equipment component could be interesting, maybe even to the regional swap. If vendors are not selling equipment I wouldn't see a problem. Already I think members can bring equipment to regular meetings, too.

Geneva and Yippee like this.
  20. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

And that's exactly the point, this club was not made so that people can use as a market place to sell their wares. BAR's mission statement isn't "To have a group of potential customers to sell your designer corals to and make money off them". And it's that very reason why I have been in the club since the clubs inception. If this club turned into a walking craigslist ad (kind of how it was turning out with our RC forum) then there'd be no reason for me to stick around at all. If I grew up in another part of this country, I doubt I would have stayed in this hobby very long, this clubs generosity is what allows people to have reefs with coral. I remember pre-swap days, you throw down a one to two hundred bucks for a "colony" of something and if you were lucky it stayed along long enough for you to know what had when it did eventually die.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting members to give away their stuff for free, but every now and then I get the feeling someone joined the club (or posts) strictly because they see a customer base, and I'd rather that member give away nothing than selling. And again selling is fine, sometimes it's a necessary evil, just so long as that is not a member's sole purpose of this club.

And ultimately that's what this club is to me, it's a club of sharing, not just corals, but ideas, information, and inspiration.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Coral reefer likes this.