Kessil

Dodged a bullet tonight (so far), broken heater, tripped GFCI, 65 degree tank...

Ugh...

Get home tonight, as soon as I open the door I notice things are way to quiet... Realize the GFCI on the frag tank is tripped. After a few choice words, I reset the GFCI, try to find out WTF happened, tank looks fine, no glass heaters in it, all the pumps look ok, MH isn't turning on but the RKL turned it off I guess... Whatever. I check my water change bucket and see this:

DSC00269.JPG

DSC00270.JPG

DSC00273.JPG

DSC00274.JPG

DSC00275.JPG

So the tank is on now and the temp is slowly rising, so far so good (knock on wood) maybe one arm on it bleached, to soon to tell. The bi-color blenny looks ok, he was hiding but is now out swimming and eating as usual.

Glad you caught it on time buddy.

Sucks how glass heaters break. I try to stay away form them as much as possible i like running stealth and if i go glass i stay with jager. I found them to work very well and have least amount of problems.

Good luck with getting your tank back to the right temp.

Wow, this is a close one. Glad to hear not much damage. This pushed me over the edge, and i just ordered two titanium heaters this morning to replace my glass heaters.

I was really lucky, this morning everything in the tank looks fine and the temp was back up to normal. In both of my tanks I only have stealth heaters, after seeing another members glass heater explode (Mike's maybe?) I went out and replaced all my glass heaters, I just used these glass ones for water change water.

I hadn't been to my place since Friday so I guess it could have been out for any amount of time since Friday, the fridge was still pretty cold, and frozen stuff was still frozen solid, must have only been out for a few hours or so....

I am going to toss the other glass heater I have, I'm not risking it anymore. This heater was totally submerged in the water when I left it in there Friday and on and working fine... Why it blew up who the hell knows...

How should I clean out the MJ600? Should I just rinse it really well? I am going to bleach the bucket but have no idea how I should clean out the powerhead.

Wow...glad to hear everything will be ok. I think I might have to swap out my glass heater. I have a stealth in my display and I put the glass one in my plumbed frag tank as a backup. But now I'm worried that it could melt like yours did.

tuberider said:
Get a Poly Filter in there quick!
Looks like the heater burst in the isolated WC bucket and not the tank. Luckily, his tank just took the temp/flow hit and not also metals contaimination.

Exactly Tony, the heater cut off the GFI that everything in my kitchen is connected to.

Phong, the GFCI is hooked up on the first and only accessible (besides the one behind the fridge) receptacle in the kitchen. It was the only receptacle I could hook the GFCI into, it's the first receptacle out of the breaker box.

I am amazed the tank did so well being so cold. SPS, LPS, zoa's all look fine, the worst looking things were the mushrooms which were all bunched up and closed up on themselves. I threw a bag of carbon in there last night just in case but so far so good.

Thanks everyone!

Back