Does anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by enaldy, Jan 19, 2017.

1. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

Well.. my zoas and other living things are now opening as they use too.. and that's is driving me crazy.

So this morning I was taking a look at the tank trying to see any worms or anything.. I saw these things:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was looking and many of my corals has this thing in it.

But I also have an Threadfin butterflyfish new to the tank.. I am not seeing any bitting marks on the corals.. have anyone ever had problem with this fish picking on the coral?

Thanks again guys!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  2. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Crab claw?

3. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

All Butterfly fish are a risk with corals. Some more so than others. The Threadfin seems to be one of the better ones but still hit and miss.

Coral reefer likes this.
  4. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

Got it... i haven't seen any bite marks or anything like it. So I'm kinda putting it aside.

5. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

no I was talking to a friend and he told me that look like a pineapple sponge.. and it definitely does...
    So i am now very confuse of why my corals are not opening as they use too... :confused::mad:

Coral reefer likes this.
  6. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Tough to say without knowing anything about your tank. Obviously butterfly is a suspect. You should setup a video of tank and observe him

7. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

I work from home and my tank is close to me.. so I spend some time looking at it during breaks and the butterfly peak on the rocks only... never seen it picking on the corals.

8. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I live by the airport and haven't seen seen a plane crash, but they do... not to be a jerk, but you. It seeing it doesn't mean it's not Going on.
    What else has changed recently? Do you test anything?

9. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

I test weekly for PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, salinity (alkalinity is little high, but not crazy high - it's 10). Nothing has changed for a while.. I changed bulbs beginning of December, everything was normal until couple weeks ago. I turned off some of the lights since yesterday and decreased the amount of flow on them (changed the pumps placement around).

10. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

If nothing has changed...except adding the butterfly...I think you have answered you're own question.

enaldy likes this.
  11. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

If nothing has changed...except adding the butterfly...I think you have answered you're own question.

enaldy likes this.
  12. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

While the butterfly may not be chowing down on corals, it is probably nibbling a bit.
    And you would be unlikely to see a missing polyp or tentacle here and there.
    But the coral knows, and would tend to curl up and not open.

Do you have a big sump, fuge, or QT?
    You could move the fish for a while, and see what happens.
    Threadfins are NICE, so while it is likely the culprit, I would check first.

Coral reefer likes this.
  13. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

I have a small tank that I use for quarantine, I will try to put it aside for a while.
    Thanks everyone.

14. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

Thanks -- this one made my night.

15. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Q? Are those things moving? or just growing on/around?

16. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

They are not moving... just growing pretty fast!

17. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Maybe some sort of sponge? that would be my guess by the look on the picture. Mike's suggestion is really good, if things changed when you added the new fish. May wanna keep your eyes exploring more the tank at dark. This is what you don't want to find in your tank

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    WrightReef likes this.
  18. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

That's a 5g bucket.
    My brother's tank had something weird going on; corals not opening, some disappearing... just no explanation after checking and checking.
    One night he spotted something dark moving when the lights were out.
    We wondered for how long that worm had been living in there, the thing was huge!!

19. TacomaTung

TacomaTung Guest

Looks like a pile worm

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

20. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

o.0, how did you get it out