Does anyone want free laptop memory??

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Elite, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Here's another site that has that same memory at a slightly better price... $25 after rebate.

http://tinyurl.com/3a97rr

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I know those are PC6400, but when I went to get the one I needed (5300) the sold me 6400 which didn't work. I need non ECC and they sold me ECC. Would that make the difference?

I need:pC2-5300 (800MGH) non ECC (4x 1g)

3. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

It should work granted that the pins are correct. I think this is the issue. The ones that I linked are 240 pin; I think your's might be 200 pin instead?

Using ECC vs. non-ECC shouldn't really matter. ECC chips are slightly slowly since they have to do some error checking, but that shouldn't really be noticeable and should still boot up. You don't happen to know which motherboard you're running do you?

Go here and verify which ones you need (you can run their utility).
    http://crucial.com/

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

IMO non ECC vs ECC is what is tripping me up. My specs matcg perfect on what I got and what can go into my computer:

Only difference in the PC2-6400 listed here and what I got is the ECC.

At any rate, I can use those chips you posted :D

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I read some place I may need to slow down my ram speed from 800 to 667 to make it work? Know anything about this?

6. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

BTW, it's a DELL optiplex 745c

7. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

Phong,
    Do you have any memory left? I'm getting old, myself. Seriously, how do I know if your memory would be appropriate for my laptop? Thanks

8. Elite

Elite Guest

Yeah I still have some. What brand/model is your laptop??

9. patchin

Sony PCG-K13

10. Elite

Elite Guest

Standard Memory 512 MB = 256 MB (removable) + 256 MB (removable)
    Maximum Memory 1.0 GB
    Memory Expansion 2 sockets
    Model Comments 533MHz FSB
    Memory Comments PC2100/2700 DDR SDRAM SODIMMs
    Processor 2.8GHz Intel Mobile Pentium 4

I don't think these will work.

11. patchin

Thanks for checking it out.
    Steve

12. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

You can slow down your RAM in BIOS settings. Not sure how comfortable you're with that...

13. Elite

Elite Guest

I don't think you have to do anything. It should automatically adjust to the slowest RAM speed. As long as the pin is correct. Feel free to correct me. ;D

14. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Really depends on the motherboard. Sometimes it will default to the slower RAM speed since it detects the other sticks. Some motherboards won't do that and you have to manually underclock them.

15. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

All four where/are the sme chipset, speed, etc. Pin count is right, computer just won't turn on with new RAM installed :(

16. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

You're not exceeding the maximum amount of RAM allowable by your motherboard right?

17. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

nope, 4g is what I put in, can handle 8g :) It can only handle 4g of 800mhz.

18. Elite

Elite Guest

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2845.msg30743#msg30743 date=1201130741]
    Hmmm tried to enter the code, and it still says $79, not $25 shipped. Perhaps the promocode expired? There is a $40 MIR but it's hardly $29 shipped, at least for me.

[/quote]
    Hey Mike, it's onsale again if you still need some :) ..
    http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Feb-0-2008/Promo022908inB/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEMEHDD022908T&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEMEHDD022908T-_-email-_-E0A-_-Moredeals

19. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Thanks Phong, yeah I signed up to that email list after I missed the first time :D However I found out that windows can't use 4GB of ram, that I'd be stuck at 3GB, so almost seems like a waste buying another 2 gigs.