Donate to a school

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by jquiring, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jquiring

jquiring Guest

I am a teacher who has just starting an aquarium. I was introduced to this site by someone who donated some soft coral to us. This site is great, and I'd love to get more involved!

If anybody has some things you would like to donate to our aquarium, that would be much appreciated! Here are some things we need:

• [li]Coral Rocks (larger is better, to build a taller structure)[/li]
      [li]Coral Fragments (hardier is better)[/li]
      [li]Community-friendly fish[/li]
      [li]Expert opinion :)[/li]

2. jquiring

jquiring Guest

I forgot to mention that we can give you a receipt for tax-deduction at the market value of your donation if you would like one.

3. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Can you give us some more information, perhaps even pictures of the tank, size, equipment etc.? It might help to know what types of stuff your tank could even contain.

4. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Where are you located?

5. jquiring

jquiring Guest

We're located in the south end of Pacifica, about 20 miles down the coast from SF.

6. jquiring

jquiring Guest

We're just starting with our tank. I don't have pictures right now (I may get some later). The tank is 80 gallons, but I'm a beginner and just learning about corals and some of the fish. We were given some Kenya trees, Neon green star polyps, Xenia , and 2 kinds of Zoanthids which I placed upon our few coral rocks. Our fish include damsels, a clown fish, and a snowflake eel. I'm keeping my eye on the eel to be sure he's not aggressive towards my fish. If so, I may have to trade him away (he's already unsuccessfully attacked a hermit crab :( )

I would like some more coral rock to stack so we could create a better habitat for the fish and for future coral. We just have a few rocks which lie on the sand.

Need any other info?

7. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

Lighting and filtration specs may also prove useful

8. tuberider

tuberider Guest

South Pacifica? I'm in Montara. Send me a PM and I'll take care of you.

9. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Aren't Damsels and Eels aggressive? I've been informed that damsels are best with their own species. Also, what kind of clown do you have?
    I'd recommend next time (if you get another aquarium/ clown dies) to get a pair of Ocellaris. I have B&W Ocellaris which are very nice and peaceful. They are very fun to watch and almost never get diseases. I have pictures of them in my tank thread. Also, make sure the PH is correct all the time. The Xenia and Kenya Tree can die if the PH goes too low. I'd get a cleaner shrimp, blue leg hermit crabs (30-50), snails, and try to get test kits to test your Magnesium and Calcium. If the calcium levels are off by too much, the corals might become unhealthy. The magnesium is a bit less important, but still good to have the levels right if you are going to keep Frogspawn, Hammer coral, or Torch coral. All kinds of Zoanthids are very hardy (except the ones that require high lighting). Zoanthids are very pretty and easy to keep. Keep pictures posted so that we can see how the aquarium is doing. Some beginners don't realize problems since they aren't used to stuff like this. I've been in the marine hobby for about 9 months now and before that, I did freshwater aquariums (for about 3-5 years). I'm used to stuff dieing or flourishing and I did my research before I set up the aquarium. And most importantly, DON'T LET ANY OF THE CORALS TOUCH!
    They'll sting each other. Try some mushroom coral. They are very pretty and easy to keep.

10. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Also, I'm a bit concerned about the fishes compatibility. I think some of the more "Expert" people might want to help with that. It could be VERY critical.

11. jquiring

jquiring Guest

Actually, we have a Ocellaris, not a clownfish (just one). He's too obsessed with his own reflection to care about the damsels. I was told by the pet shop that I should only get one at a time, but eventually get another. We have one dominant damsel that chases other damsels away when their in his comfort zone. Other than that, the damsels are pretty peaceful. The eel has chased one of the hermit crabs, but hasn't shown any aggression towards any fish, despite bumping into each other (literally). I think we're going to trade the eel away, even though he's really pretty. I think he'll be too aggressive towards the crustaceans.

Thanks for some of the chemistry tips. I think I also need more hermit crabs.

12. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

nice to meet you friday and hope everything goes well. feel free to check back with me in a couple months since I should have more stuff to frag.

13. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

[quote author=jquiring link=topic=5866.msg73924#msg73924 date=1231737486]
    Actually, we have a Ocellaris, not a clownfish (just one). He's too obsessed with his own reflection to care about the damsels. I was told by the pet shop that I should only get one at a time, but eventually get another. We have one dominant damsel that chases other damsels away when their in his comfort zone. Other than that, the damsels are pretty peaceful. The eel has chased one of the hermit crabs, but hasn't shown any aggression towards any fish, despite bumping into each other (literally). I think we're going to trade the eel away, even though he's really pretty. I think he'll be too aggressive towards the crustaceans.

Thanks for some of the chemistry tips. I think I also need more hermit crabs.
    [/quote]

An Ocellaris is a clown fish. Amphiphron Ocellaris is the scientific name. The guy at the pet store was VERY wrong. If you want a pair, get them at the same time. If one is introduced after the other, the will fight. Trust me on this. I've had experience with that exact situation. Getting rid of the eel is a very wise decision. Also, after the clown get over his reflection (he won't do this for more than a couple days) The damsels will start bullying him. And remember, don't get another clown. They will fight because if it's one clown's territory, and you introduce another, the bigger one/older one will almost always attack the other and inflict damage (tale ripping, bruising, ex.) Below is what you could do with the aquarium...

Fish...
    Clown (already have)
    Damsels (already have)
    jaw fish (I'll explain about them...)
    Yellow Tang
    Blue or Green Chromis (would work nicely in a group of 3-5)

Ok, so those were some stocking ideas for your fish. And the jaw fish is not aggressive at all! It is about 2" and a light blue color. They are very slim (just like gobys) and they dig hole in the sand as their homes! They are widely available in the hobby and are VERY fun to watch. The students will love watching the jaw fish!

And also, I forgot to tell you about supplements. If you want a healthy, thriving reef aquarium, buy some supplements of iodine, strontium, magnesium, and calcium. Get test kits for those. It will really help! Also, have you realized yet that this is a very expensive hobby? An 80gal will require a lot of money to set it up correctly.
    And moving on to my next topic... Ok, so this is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!

Answer the following...
    Did you let your tank cycle?
    If so for how long?
    What is the lighting?
    Do you have a skimmer in the tank?
    Do you have a refugium?
    What do you feed you fish?

14. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Euphyllia there are many many many corals that can live with each other. Rathe tehn tell her none can why not say which ones are aggressive or what to look out for ;)

Many soft corals can live with each other. Things like Sarco's, sinularias, laminaria, zoathids and mushrooms can live with each other. Most stony corals can't touch each other, same with LPS corals. There are some exceptions to that though :)

There are also some decent non aggressive damsels and eels. The mini golden moray is a great addition to most reef tanks.

jquiring - I'll donate some coral and fish food for the aquarium.. email me using the link below my name <<<<

15. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

He's right. Some corals can touch. But the corals with big, long sweeper tentacles are aggressive...

16. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Hey jquiring,

How big is the eel? I've been thinking of adding one to my tank and I'm in need of some new fish. I have a few different kinds of zoos, shrooms, leather(nepthea) and LPS that will grow in almost any tank if you want to trade him out. I feel kinda bad asking for a trade as I'd love to help you out anyway, but if we can get a win-win situation for us both then I guess I'll feel a little better.

How "good" is your tank? I'd really like to know the filtration you have in it. The reason I ask, and making no promises, is that if it is good enough I may be willing to throw in an urchin as well. I really like him but there is barely enough algae to feed him in my tank and he is a cool thing to look at. BUT, and that's a big but, your water has to be very good and very stable to keep him alive.

BTW, do you have any serpent stars? I have an extra big one in my sump you can have. I'd say this is one of the "cooler" things to have in a school tank because they are really cool to watch and, if you can catch them, they can be handled. Not likely you'll catch them but if you do they are fun to hold now and then. ;)

17. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

I may have some coral that I can contribute soon and possibly some equipment. Would really like to know what kind of lighting you have so I can determine what kind of things the tank can sustain.

18. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Oh, you think any coral is getting past my five sticky fingers Bryan? ;D You'll be lucky if there's any left in the tank when I leave. ;)

19. jquiring

jquiring Guest

Because I'm new to aquariums, I don't know the technical names for everything. The lighting is suitable for corals (so I was told), and consists of two florescent tubes and 2 large bulbs which take a while to warm up.

20. iani

iani Guest

So you have fluorescents and metal halides. There should be two/few ballasts for both lights which will tell you the wattage on them.