Donate to a school

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by jquiring, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Did you let your tank cycle? If so for how long?

2. jquiring

jquiring Guest

I let it cycle for about a month. I am actually getting an algae bloom right now, so I think I'll postpone adding any new life into the aquarium until I get it under control.

3. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

What kind of algae? Hair?

4. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

likely diatoms (brown stuff everywhere) which is normal and goes away

5. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I have that on my aquarium (the 34gal). It never goes away... ever

6. jquiring

jquiring Guest

Some of the brown stuff has been around a while, but is subsiding. Recently, it's been some green hair algae. It really started when I lost a couple hermit crabs at the same time that nitrates went up just a bit. Perfect growing conditions for algae.

7. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Do you know how old your light bulbs are? If they get old the spectrum can change and make them into algae growing machines.

8. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Use Rowa Phos (the phosphate remover) but about 2 containers of it ($40)

9. Lyn

Lyn Guest

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5866.msg74920#msg74920 date=1232075467]
    I have that on my aquarium (the 34gal). It never goes away... ever
    [/quote]

Cycling takes time, and there are different algae stages to the process.

10. seminolecpa

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5866.msg74947#msg74947 date=1232080652]
    Use Rowa Phos (the phosphate remover) but about 2 containers of it ($40)
    [/quote]

Not necessarily the answer to the potential problem. I think you need way more facts before delivering that diagnosis. The tank could be cycling, it could have old bulbs, he could be overfeeding or not doing water changes etc etc.

GFO (products like ROWA, Phosban etc aka phosphate removers) aren't necessarily a bad idea but the key is to identify if there is a problem that is curable in a more natural way vs. just trying to find a magic bullet. Also if he was going to use a phosphate remover might also be a good idea to say to use a reactor.

11. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I'd say an 80gal would take about... 2 months to cycle? Right?
    Also, I might frag stuff to bring to a meeting in couple of months to donate. No promises, but I might be able to donate some colt coral, anthellia (BTW Lyn, my clowns are hosting in it!), or some red/blue polyps.

12. Lyn

Lyn Guest

There are many variables which might affect cycling time. Every tank is different, hence, the constant water testing. There is no "magic time" for when a tank should be cycled.

Glad your clowns like the anthelia. :)

13. seminolecpa

Agreed. there isn't a formula like

tank size +time= tank cycling. there are lots of factors that can speed up and/or slow down a tank from cycling.

14. jquiring

jquiring Guest

Yea, I think I need to be more diligent with testing. Thanks for all the help so far.