got ethical husbandry?

Don't Mislabel Corals at Frag Swaps

Hey just a friendly reminder.

Please make sure you do not mislabel corals at the frag swap, ESPECIALLY if you are trying to do the Bonus/Ultra rounds.

If you're doing the bonus/ultra rounds, please make sure you are really confident about your coral ID. If you think theres a chance you might be wrong, ask someone for a second opinion to identify your coral.

The ultra/bonus rounds are designed to encourage people to bring their nice usually expensive corals to the frag swap. It is very common for people to leave their nice corals at home during a frag swap because they might not think it's worth trading.

A frag swap that regularly has nice/expensive corals will encourage other people to bring their secret stash corals to share. This will encourage more people to come. It's a positive feedback affect. Better corals = better frag swap = more people = even better frag swap.

Here's are some zoas that people commonly mix up.

Orange Oxides
OrangeOxide01.jpg

-common to uncommon
-grow okay
-hobbyist price 5$ per polyp
-store price 5-10$ per polyp

Blondies (BBEB) Zoa
7fee376d0765dcca2bd1609cb7fbe117.jpg

-uncommon
-grow okay
-hobbyist price 5-10$ per polyp
-store price 10-20$ per polyp

Fruit Loop Zoas
FruitLoops_zps9c403068.jpg

-rare
-deepwater zoas
-usually slow growers
-similar to blondies but lighter yellow ring and lighter orange skirt.
-more sensitive to melting.
-hobbyist price 10$-20$ per polyp
-store price 20-30$ per polyp

If someone brings a stash of their nice corals to the swap to do the bonus round, they are expecting bonus round corals in return. If they get a bunch of accidental/intention misidentified corals, they might stop coming back.

So please please be extra careful if you are trying to do the bonus/ultra rounds.

Last edited:
iMO it's best to only label a coral you bought or got with a name, for years in NCRC ppl would buy a wild caught coral colony, think it looked just like some aquacultured coral and then name it that, wasn't a big deal except when those wild caught corals started melting in ppl tanks and then they got very upset. I'm not a big name guy but there is a lot to be said for knowing a coral can thrive in a tank

To touch on what Roc is saying , I pretty much only buy my Acros from people's tanks. I had horrible luck with wild caught colonies. Its hard to keep up with names on some corals so I can see how easy it is to make a mistake

Back