got ethical husbandry?

Dosing hydrogen peroxide

In an effort to eliminate hair algae from my system, I did some research on the dosing of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). There are quite a number of threads across several boards, reporting varying results. Dosing levels are rather standard.

And so, I carefully measured out the recommended dose for my 190g tank with a syringe, and added it to my tank. Fortunately, all the corals are underwater, so you cannot hear them scream. The urchin fell off the wall, all crabs immediately stopped moving, and every coral went to full retraction. It was as though the entire tank turned to me and asked WTF?!?

WTF.png

I realized that all the information dealt with "how much" and not "how" to dose. I fell into the mental trap of thinking of the H2O2 as any other additive to be dosed, rather than the caustic material that it is. Duh.

The answer was to dilute it (I am using 35% food grade) and add it slowly to the tank.

I found this device, which is intended to acclimate fish in the LFS bag, but I usually don't pay attention to "intended use" directions.

Dripper.jpg

I fill the chamber with RODI and add the H2O2 to the water. I then set the drip rate to empty the chamber in about an hour. All dosing measurement is done with a syringe, so I know exactly how much is going in, the device is simply adding it to the system slowly. It does not need to be precise.

I will like start using this when I dose kalk in addition to my normal alk dosing when I want to bring up pH a bit. $20 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YIVJSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Peroxide dissipates pretty quickly. I don't know if dosing it into the water column is the way to go.

I used a syringe and applied it directly to the algae patches.

The most effective method was to remove the rock, apply the peroxide then scrape off the algae. Followed by more peroxide and some vigorous scrubbing with a stiff bristled brush. Also used a scalpel and scrapped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A much better way to remove any type algae is to use a product called Vibrant. If your interested call me 510-655-3066. You can research it on reef2reef. Just type in Vibrant in the search box. Well over 200 comments, and at least 95 percent positive. I used it to kill string algae and bubble algae.

Dick Flanagan

A much better way to remove any type algae is to use a product called Vibrant. If your interested call me 510-655-3066. You can research it on reef2reef. Just type in Vibrant in the search box. Well over 200 comments, and at least 95 percent positive. I used it to kill string algae and bubble algae.

Dick Flanagan
Do you know if any Bay Area fish stores sell Vibrant?

The companies website is: uwcmn.com/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner
Other sellers: fragtastic reef and amazon
If I can be of further help let know.

A unscientific counting (me reading forums) seems to indicate that Vibrant helps a very small number of people. Less than 20% and since they all are trying multiple remedies I'm not sure I'd jump on the bandwagon. The big issue though is no one knows what it is, what's in it or how it operates. They not only won't disclose ingredients, but they also won't even say if it's chemical or biological. There's too much snake oil in this hobby and I'm adverse to using any of them if I know nothing about what I'm pouring in my tank.

I've read some decent threads on it, and sounds like there are some who note significant improvement (with photographic support). And they do say it's a biologic, basically a bacteria blend plus some other percentage of ingredient. I'm not surprised that companies aren't completely transparent about their products because our hobby is full of diy-era. Anyways, to each his/her own, but if I get into a gha conundrum, I'll try it.

Last edited:
I've tried that product and got nowhere with it. They told me I needed to dose meaning more bottles. I did notice my tank was clearer but algae issues were still there

When we went to MACNA, one of the seminars we went to talked about doing peroxide dips of your rocks to help with algae. There were several slides of different ratios of water to peroxide that you could dip depending on the hardiness of your corals.

6eb171c14641338514c8be8956d1352d.jpg

2369f0b38feb48d3e6b1be5a81c338a8.jpg

773283fb114b82bd72783c206eb6a50b.jpg

ef7079ba6285943acb9d4cf73e970a66.jpg

If one was to read all the comments from the companies first posting which was around the beginng of Nov. it might clear up some of the above comments. The ingredients are bacteria and not chemicals. The company goes into great detail to explain how the bacteria works. Too many people have been helped to consider this to be snake oil, but I agree we should be deligent before using any new product. I been following the thread since it first started and I haven't seen anywhere where there is a 20 percent approval. In fact the approval rate from what I have read is over whemingly positive, and some the before and after pictures are like night and day. Will it work on every single aquarium, probably not, what does. From my following of the discussion most of those not seeing any improvement has to do with their not following the correct instructions. I didn't use it until I saw that almost all the comments were positive and no one had a problem with their corals, fish, etc. My investment is too great to take any chances. I have spent many hours reading everyone's opinions,the thread is will over 1000 comments. So far all my algae problems are gone, evern film on the glass. If I have a problem later on I will be more than willing to post that as well.

I've dipped Zoas in diluted H2O2, works absolutely amazing, hair algae hasn't come back. On dosing, however, this is my understanding. 1. Take all important creatures out of the tank, use a syringe with undiluted H2O2, spray algae, then do a big water change, maybe add some more bacteria somehow. Or 2. Dose small amounts of H2O2, I believe magnesium is a catalyst to H2O2, which causes it to break down into H2O and O rather quickly, and all of the extra O in the water causes the algae to grow less, or die off, since algae needs CO2 to grow, and O would be considered waste by algae.

If one was to read all the comments from the companies first posting which was around the beginng of Nov. it might clear up some of the above comments. The ingredients are bacteria and not chemicals. The company goes into great detail to explain how the bacteria works. Too many people have been helped to consider this to be snake oil, but I agree we should be deligent before using any new product. I been following the thread since it first started and I haven't seen anywhere where there is a 20 percent approval. In fact the approval rate from what I have read is over whemingly positive, and some the before and after pictures are like night and day. Will it work on every single aquarium, probably not, what does. From my following of the discussion most of those not seeing any improvement has to do with their not following the correct instructions. I didn't use it until I saw that almost all the comments were positive and no one had a problem with their corals, fish, etc. My investment is too great to take any chances. I have spent many hours reading everyone's opinions,the thread is will over 1000 comments. So far all my algae problems are gone, evern film on the glass. If I have a problem later on I will be more than willing to post that as well.

They do now list the ingredients. When it first was floating around they refused to do so ostensibly for patent reasons. They wouldn't indicate whether it was chemical or not. I'm not sure what the secrecy was considering the ingredient list now:

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend

1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)

0.5% Vinegar

3.5% RO/DI Water

Looks like just carbon dosing. They include the bacteria instead of waiting for it to build up naturally.

And I see that they ask for maintenance dosing.

Yep -- which is why it works sometimes but not in all cases and why it works quicker for some than for others. At least nw that they list that I wouldn't worry about what was going into my tank.

The bacteria they use works in two ways: 1.it reduces the nitrates and p04 and 2. It eats the algae. It's not carbon dosing because that only feeds the exiting bacteria. This vibrant provides bacteria that attacks algae. One other point is that if a tank has a lot of algae the nitrates and P04 will increase and some algae may temperory increase due to more nutrients being released, but as the Vibrant removes them this will be reduced. This is one of the complaints but most people seem satisfied once it explained. In addition there are many different strains of algae and some will take longer to be removed i.e. Dino's and bubble algae along with some others. My main reason for posting this is because it may be a large step forward in helping to solve what is the biggest complain in this hobby i.e. Algae. Many people give up because it ruins their aquarium. This is an inexpensive way to try to solve the problem and if it doesn't work little is lost. IT doesn't harm anything in the aquarium except for algae. My aquarium has never looked better, no string algae nor bubble algae.

I used to do peroxide dipping and application to frags to burn off macro algae. Very tedious and in the long term felt like a losing battle. I have been much happier with a Tomini tang and a Magnifica Foxface which will scour all algae away from any frag or rock in short order.

Back