Our mission

Dosing Vodka

I currently have a Nitrate and Phosphate problem with my tank. I have been and will continue to be doing large water changes, 40gal every other day or so. Another procedure that I was considering using was to start dosing vodka to try and help lower and maintain low levels o NO3 and PO4. I have read up on the procedure and it is a fairly strait forward procedure. I was looking to see if anyone hear is using this method or has any other thoughts on this subject.

Thanks Jeremy I will.
I still plan on doing the water changes, as I feel and from what I have been told it is the best method. I was looking into Vodka dosing as a additional help with NO3 and PO4 issues if the water changes could not maintain low levels. After this initial problem is corrected I plan on doing 20gal water changes a week, and if I was still having issues I wanted something else to help with the problem. I tend to feed the tank heavily and really don't want to change that if I can help it.

Trust in the force. :bigsmile:
That is what I am hoping, I really didn't want to have to add more chemicals to my tank and create 1 more thing I have to do every night. Thanks Jeremy.

Jeremy in your experience with my Nitrates starting out at around 50ppm and doing 30-40 gal water changes every other day or so, how long would you think it will take to bring the nitrates down to 5ppm or less?

One quick comment - with such large water changes, please, please, be sure that the water you are adding does not contain P04 or No3!
Also, what PO4 media are you using? Have you considered a reactor for the NO3 as well? I say this, since I think in the end, you will have a similar cost (price of salt, time, etc.) versus the cost of reactors and media, but you might end up with a better long term solution with the reactors and media.

Just my thoughts.

Best,

Brian once the sun moved back to lighting my refugium the NO3 dropped from 40 this winter to 0 in about a month. I will light it more intensely this winter to stop the seasonal flux.

Erin you run large refugiums outside in rubbermaid bins?

tuberider said:
Check this article out Brian, pretty interesting, true? Dunno

http://glassbox-design.com/2008/achieved-through-observation-and-experimentation/

There's really no easy way out other than water changes, I know you may not like that idea, but it really is not that difficult if you prepare for it.

Intereting article. The principle behind why they use that method makes sense to me. It also looks like this method also has a lot of adjustments that might need to be made on the mixture for your tank depending on how it reacts to the dosing.

For your nitrates I would consider a remote deep sand bed. Set it and forget it and in a few months it should be cranking away at your trates.
What is your PO4 testing at?

Never messed with a deep sand bed, I think that it works by anaerobic bacteria right? But how does the water flow through it? What is the byproduct of those bacteria? Flow rate through that compartmentreally slow, not matter? I've been curious but would love it for someone to really explain it to me. Thanks!

seminolecpa said:
He has a deep sand bed in the tank Rich. Friggin sand.

There's his problem right there!

I don't like them in the tank because detritus settles on and in them. Oh - there are other reasons. Remote...a nice clean home for bacteria.

Coral reefer - here is my opinion on sand:
http://reefhobbyistmagazine.com/archives/vol_1/issue_2/pages/rhm_summer_2007_08.htm
:D

By-product is what though Jeremy? IIRC it's byproduct is nitrogen gas, right?

Kensington Reefer said:
Do you run a refugium? If so maybe a larger one or another one? Just a suggestion.
Yes it is about 10gal This is the largest I can fit under my stand.

kvosstra said:
One quick comment - with such large water changes, please, please, be sure that the water you are adding does not contain P04 or No3!
Also, what PO4 media are you using? Have you considered a reactor for the NO3 as well? I say this, since I think in the end, you will have a similar cost (price of salt, time, etc.) versus the cost of reactors and media, but you might end up with a better long term solution with the reactors and media.

Just my thoughts.

Best,

The new water has 0 NO3 and

I'd need to do a little reading, I believe you are correct, the chain is broken and part of it is off gassing. I remember believing that anerobic conditions were the zones where denitrification occurs (like most back in the day). In one of my old aquaculture books I read otherwise, reading RHF on RC years later he concurred with that.

I'll see what I can dig up, it was either Spotte or Colt IIRC.

Back