Kessil

Dottyback with eggs??

Kmooresf

Supporting Member
Hi there,

While video taping the tank yesterday I noticed the dottyback with what I am pretty sure was a bunch of eggs coming out of it's belly. The video is of the first batch, and while I was uploading there was a second batch about the same size.

I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I have no idea how that works. It is the only one in the tank. Do they lay them regularly without a mate? It was very cool, and I was happy to have been filming when I noticed it. Forgive the mumbling in the vid......I just wasn't sure what I was watching. The fish were stoked for the extra meal.

[YouTube]9bIlpvXLRuQ[/YouTube]

Kensington Reefer said:
I have another aldabrensis (unknown sex) if you want to give it a go...

rolling_dice.jpg

pairing dotties the far more typical result is death to one, or both. The least expected outcome is pairing. There are better ways to pair them with our risking loss.

There really isn't. They are one of those gambles.

If you get captive bred juveniles, your chances are greater, along with providing a LOT of hiding spots.

IIRC there is no real way to sex them other than when a female is holding.

The aggression could take place in the get go, or it could take days/weeks to show. It all really depends on the animal. You'll have MUCH greater success using small captive bred ones in a small group.

Back