Jestersix

Doug's 180 Gallon Mixed Reef

dzuckerm

Supporting Member
Hi Everyone!
I'm a NYC transplant to the bay area. I had a 135 gallon reef (just softies) there. I've been out of the hobby for 2 years but now that I have a house out here I'm gonna get another reef started. I already ordered the tank (180 gallon, standard 6x2x2 with corner overflows) and stand. I plan to start with soft corals again but eventually move into SPS once I'm more comfortable.
My plan is to place the tank againt my livingroom wall. Behind that wall is my garage. So I'm going to cut a whole through the wall and put the sump and all other equipment in the garage.
So far this is the equipment I have ordered:
180 gallon tank with 2 corner overflows (each drilled with 1.5" and 1.0" holes)
60 gallon sump (will be in garage directly behind tank, I will install glass baffles myself)
Mag 24 in-sump return pump (will split to both returns in tank)
Super Reef Octopus XP 3000 in sump protein skimmer (splurged on that one)
(2) Koralia Evolution 1400 powerheads
Air, Water, Ice Extreme Typhoon III RO/DI unit
I plan to have a 1-2 inch sandbed in the main tank and a deep sand bed in the sump refug.
I'll add about 300 pounds of live rock divided between the main tank and sump.
I still have to get the lighting, but planning on (3) 250w MH along with VHO Acitinics and LED for moonlight.
Once the tank arrives (in about 3 weeks) I will start putting it all together and making the overflows. I have an electrician coming out to run some dedicated GFI outlets to the area. I also called a plumber to come install a utility sink in my garage. I'll hook the RO/DI unit up there.
Does this all sound reasonable? I know you guys always have great ideas and there may be some things i'm overlooking? thanks!
-Doug

I like the cutting holes in the wall (live vicariously through you) - and am a fellow garage reefer. You certainly don't fool around do you?

You might take a look at a couple of the tank threads for some ideas. I went through my floor to the garage with my 180. I know iani did as well. Some very good info and lessons learned in there if you are willing to look through them (some are pretty long).

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/2478

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9458

Sounds very similiar to my initial setup. I'd consider changing the lighting approach. VHO actinics use a lot of watts, LED or even T5 blue+ bulbs would be a less costly approach. Also consider T5s and LEDs for main lighitng to get less heat and lower wattage. I have 3x 250W MH and used to have 2x 180W VHOs and my electric bill was a killer. I still have MHs but will likely replace with LEDs for electricity savings not to mention I can probably rid myself of the chiller.
Definitly check out some tank threads to get some ideas.

Thanks guys I will definitely check out the threads. I've been reading a ton of them on here and on reefcentral.
Do you think 5's and LEDs alone are sufficient to support SPS in the future? I do understand the longterm costs are better but the upfront costs are insane (especially for a 72inch tank). Perhaps it would be worth it though.

I'm concerned about the mag 24 return pump. It might be too much flow for my needs. It's basically going to be running from the sump to the main tank (about 4 or 5 feet up). I will split that line to the two returns in my overflows. I used the head loss calculator online and it gave me a flow rate in the tank of 1200gph. Do you think I should downgrade it?

Welcome!
Just remember that the garage is one of the most likely place for a fire to start in your home and can have a source of carbon monoxide (gas water heater,furnace and cars).
The walls of your garage should be fire rated (5/8" drywall).
You might want to create a room in your garage that will encapsulate your tank and install a fire rated door.
This will also help you control the temperature of your tank a lot better than a garage environment.

I say led is great for actinic supplement for sure! I love my reefbrite strip! As far as replacing mhs, I saw jess's 4x2x2 tonight with 2 white and 4 blue reefbrites, it seems to have plenty of light, and the strips aren't even that close to the water.

Hmmm I will do some research on an LED / T5 combo. Is there a good manufacturer that makes an affordable complete unit? Im not an electrician and wouldn't want to do a DIY lighting project! haha

Sounds a lot like what I am doing as well.
Hole to the garage, having a tank of softies, and thinking about SPS.
So being obviously biased, I think you have a GREAT plan.

I am just getting started as well.
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/10956

While I plan on all-led, I am not sure I would recommend it. Tricky.
I was seriously thinking about a mixture of MH+LED. Where the MH was over an SPS zone, say 1/3 the tank, and
LEDs were over the rest. Something to ponder.

PLEASE POST A LOT.
I have definitely changed my plans for the better based on random ideas people have.

rgonzalez said:
Rygh: Why don't you recommend all LED?

Well, I do / and I don't.
Same reason as the algae turf scrubber filter method I use, but would not always recommend.

Basically, it can be pretty tricky to get right, and if done wrong, can kill/brown a lot of coral.
I consider it still a bit in the experimental stage.
Some purchased products show signs of working well, but a bit early to be sure. Some seem to be junk.
Doing it DIY can be great, or a complete failure. And almost always takes some tweaking.
So if you are willing to take the risks and effort, (I am), it is a great thing.
But in general, I don't give a blanket recommendation.

Hope that makes sense.

LED seems a great option but IMO to bring the eye popping colors. I've seen less than a handful tanks with LED's, last one a 180 with several units, those things are bright. Still, the most impressive ones to my eye, have the LED's to color up the crayola boxes.

The tank finally arrived!
I assembled the stand first, which was sort of challenging. It was made in china and came without instructions (because it was custom). I somehow figured out which pieces what went where and which screws went where. I then made the necessary holes to allow my pipes to exit the rear of the stand. I also made a hole in the wall behind the stand to allow the pipes to go back and into the garage behind. The sump tank will be in the garage. Here's a couple of pics of the tank and stand:

Next up: Plumbing. There are (2) 1" lines going to the sump. I will use hard PVC for that. And then (2) 3/4" return lines from sump to tank, those will be plumbed with felx PVC. I post pics once those are done.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/Fishtank 008.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/Fishtank 009.JPG

Just softies? Heck with that........load it up with Softies, LPS, and acros/millis as well. You'll be fine given your DIY abillity and prior reef experience. You'll also have lots of club LPS and SPS available to you 'cause all our tanks are crowded now and we need the space in YOUR tank to maintain the blood lines. Welcome aboard and get that tank filled and aging......... :bigsmile:

How did you put pics side by side? Is that just because of the sizes of the pics or was that special formatting?

Nice!

Thanks guys. I finished the hard plumbing to the sump yesterday and will plumb the return stuff tonight. i'll post some pics once its all done (presuming it works without leaking, of course).

screebo: thanks for the encouraging words. Im sure I will branch out from softies once I get bored with them!.

houser: I think they're just side-by-side on your screen, theyre top to btm on mine.

dzuckerm said:
Thanks guys. I finished the hard plumbing to the sump yesterday and will plumb the return stuff tonight. i'll post some pics once its all done (presuming it works without leaking, of course).

screebo: thanks for the encouraging words. Im sure I will branch out from softies once I get bored with them!.

houser: I think they're just side-by-side on your screen, theyre top to btm on mine.
In that case, I "happen" to have a nice strain of pulsing sinularia that's a BAR Don't Break The Chain coral. http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/3567 Once your tank settles down, remind me and I'll snip you a frag. You're off to a great start with a very nice sized tank. That will be full of coral in 12 months, just watch!

thanks screebo that would be great!
Ok here's an update and more pics. I got all the plumbing done (which meant yet two more trips to lowes!). As I said earlier, I used (2) 1" PVC lines going from tank to sump and (2) 3/4" flex PVC going from sump to tank. I hooked it all up, filled up the sump with ro/di water, plugged in the return pump (mag 24) and then prayed! Well wouldnt you know it.....no leaks!! You can see some of the pics below along with the sump/ ro/di unit (from air/water/ice) and collecting cans (all of which are in the garage behind the display tank:

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/Fishtank 011.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/Fishtank 016.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/Fishtank 017.JPG

Congratulations! Quick plumbing with no leaks--good work. Are you going to add baffles to your sump in the garage, or have a separate refugium? Looks like you will have a lot of room under the stand for storage...

Back