Cali Kid Corals

Drdoolittle tank shots.

It was a pretty close call yesterday. I almost boiled my entire tank (figure of speach). I guess before i left to work, i accidently bump my neptune temp probe and the reading somehow dropped to 22*F.

So, when i got home. Everything looked normal, lights were still off and fishes were swiming just fine, except for the nemos they were erraticlly fanning their eggs. So, i did my usual things around the house. As i was sitting down and playing with my Iphone. i launched the Neptune Iphone apps and noticed the tank temp was at 22*. That off??? So, I walked over to the tank and found the temp probe was slightly pulled off. When i inserted it back in, the real reading come up and it was at 89* :O I immediately turn my chiller and fans on, but it too 4 hours to drop to down to 78*. I guest, my heater was trying to bring my controller activated the heater trying to bring my temp back up.

When the lights turned on, i noticed a few corals did not make it. Some of the corals looked pretty stress but still have some polyp extension. So will have to see how they turn out within 24 hours.

Neathless to say, this was a wake up call for me to redo my AC programs. I spent half the night redoing my programs with added disaster prevention into it. I also manage to have my alarm and email notification working.

Good lesson to learn and not to procrastinate on improtant stuff like adding an extra prevention, just in case..

Sorry to hear you had a temp problem Ed. what corals took a hit? I suppose the next couple of days will clear up who's gonna survive. Early last week my son noticed my cali tort was looking rough and at first I just ignored it ....but the next day it got worse....chk'd all params and noticed my alk was appx 6.7 (usually run between 9-10.5) , so I started bringing it back up and things are improving. Good luck with your recovery.

Sergio

That sucks... good thing you caught it relatively quickly. The email/sms notifications on the AC3 are a real life saver. That plus the flood sensor have saved me several times.

One thing that I do now is put all of my probes in the display tank rather than in the sump. That way I know exactly what my corals are experiencing... On my old tank, I had my return pump fail and I never got notified because the probes in the sump said everything was just fine.

eww.. i agree.. luckily i caught it in time. I was able to bring the temp down fast enough not to do too much damage. So far, i only lost my Neon green frogspawn, Tubs Horida, unknown deep water acro and half of part of pink lemonade. The others turned pale or slight brown color, but still good. Considering the amount of live stock that i have, i think the amount of lost was very minimal and most of the others will make it with no issue.

I was a good lesson learned.. Now i need to get some of those leak sensors and place it all over my tank. just in case.

Back