DRY ROCK & LIVE ROCK Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by REEFCARTEL, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Egg rate sucks for that for sure. Flow killer!

2. REEFCARTEL

REEFCARTEL Guest

l will chalk the egg crates. Since im going full ZEO I need to have a shallow sand bed, around 4cm deep. Sand grain 2-5mm. Its advised to use Dry Sand and 100% Liverock but im trying to work around it . Im getting 100lbs or Marco Largo this Monday so I Cant wait to start scaping. I should have ordered the mortar instead I got the 2 stage Epoxy and acrylic Rods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

I much prefer Epoxy to Concrete.
    Real West System or other high quality epoxy though, not that putty clay crud.
    I really advise against using that putty. It does not seep into the cracks in the rocks.

Jestersix has done some amazing things with concrete though.
    He is an artist.

Many pros and cons.

4. REEFCARTEL

REEFCARTEL Guest

Oh yea Westsystem is the strong stuff for sealing up boats n stuff. lol I will play around with the concrete route as well.

5. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Hmm. The Indo-Pacific live rock I picked up from the airport was my favorite thing about setting up my first tank almost 15 years ago! I watched more and more emerge every week, waited a long time to add anything and was always annoyed that every new coral blocked another part of the rock. To me, seeding dry rock is not nearly as cool. I have been looking into getting real live rock for a new tank I am setting up in a school but getting it is complicated now and I am disappointed. I guess I'm really geeky about live rock.

6. REEFCARTEL

REEFCARTEL Guest

How do you feel about drilling thru LiveRock and creating a bonsai look? with LR? i know i need to do it pretty quick and put it back in Salt Water but any suggestions?

7. jestersix

jestersix Sponsor

IMO using Emaco for the build is the easiest process. Quick cure and reef ready at cure (20 minutes average set time). You can easily create a flat, stable bottom for your stacks. Emaco lets you do some amazing stuff...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. REEFCARTEL

REEFCARTEL Guest

oh wow thats awesome. Whats a good site to order from?

9. jestersix

jestersix Sponsor

Best place for small orders is Marc at Marco Rocks. You may ask around the club and see if anyone has some to spare, I know that there are a few in the DIY crowd that have invested in full bags and may have some lingering in their garage.. I've given up shipping kits as Marc is cheaper on the shipped product.

Let me know if you have questions on using the stuff - always glad to assist. I have a short how-to video on my Facebook page J6 jestersix...

denzil likes this.
  10. REEFCARTEL

REEFCARTEL Guest

Okay thanks. Im actually waiting on shipment from Marco. I got about 50 lbs of Largo to mess with. I got a couple referrals to Tampa Bay and Premium Aquatics. Been lookin at some Pukani but the Largo looks best IMO

11. REEFCARTEL

REEFCARTEL Guest

Shipment came from Marco. Much more than I expected lol ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423082766.360639.jpg

12. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

Those rocks are looking nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
  13. tr1gger

tr1gger Keyboard Cowboy

Looks like nice stuff, tank is looking pretty rad! Cant wait to see it all done up and thriving with life.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
    BAYMAC likes this.
  14. REEFCARTEL

REEFCARTEL Guest

Thanks man. Much luv. I can show some progress pics during the scape progress to possibly share some ideas.

15. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Great!
    One last piece of advice : Make sure to consider how easy it is to get the rock-build in and out, especially
    long term when it has coral encrusted on it.
    Single large structures can be a huge pain!

16. REEFCARTEL

REEFCARTEL Guest

Thanks rygh. I was thinking of doing 3 pillars not too wide. Base rock being the widest piece of course.

17. REEFCARTEL

REEFCARTEL Guest

gettin used to these acrylic rods.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423388650.143741.jpg

bee505 likes this.
  18. REEFCARTEL

REEFCARTEL Guest

19. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

are you going to just cook that dry rock or doing a muriatic acid wash on it?

20. gaberosenfield

gaberosenfield Juvenile Chromis over an Acro in the Red Sea

I did an HCl wash on my Marco rocks and they haven't leached any detectable phosphate. However, I have read of people just rinsing them in tap water and having no issues. The rock does have a little dirt in the hard to clean pores, so cleaning that out is a must.