Reef nutrition

DSB in a bucket for nitrate control

Has anyone experimented and run the above setup?

It was mentioned in the Anthony Calfo forum.

I have a 5 gal bucket of sand at work I would like to try it with.

I thought Rich was setting that up on his tank.

Thinking about doing one on a multiple tank setup that I'm planning.

Someone point me to a url?

The "filtration" capacity would be a function of the surface area of the DSB, I'd think, so a 5g bucket might not be enough to do much. I thought the latest trend was to use a long sump with a DSB. People have reported success with nitrate coils also, and I might try that on my tank. No room for a remote sump.

I have a 20 gallon almost filled with sand, prolly over 150lbs on my main system and 40 pounds in the cuttle system. They seem to be effective at reducing nitrates so far.
A remote sand bed, RSB, is not the same as a DSB - no critters needed. Actually, I am unsure how a DSB is really supposed to work at all as Ron keeps changing his methodology. Anyway, an RSB is just supposed to be a big old place for denitrification to occur. Filter the water before it goes in, or put it at the end of your filtration chain, to keep detritus from settling in the bed. Easy to remove or replace if you need to. :D
There is a massive thread on it here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=ac0a1265c4ba4b42fc00199685962f76&postid=6321686#post6321686

BTW, I looked into coil denitrators, but while the concept is simple, the reality is difficult. Constant monitoring and adjusting is needed to make them work properly.

So the big ol' debate on DSB vs BB has really just had you move the sand to somewhere else ;) Mike's gonna jump all over this one ;) But I can see the benefit of at least being able to get to the sand / clean / replace it etc ...

Nah I'm not going to jump over anyone. I mean I still think the issue with DSB is not a dirty problem so much as it is a newbie problem, since most start out in this direction, and you make mistakes with overfeeding it really sticks with you a long time.

Anyways, yeah, why the need for nitrate control in a barebottom, I thought nitrates weren't an issue since you could keep everything suspended and removed?? (ok sorry had to get that one in :))

I can't comment on any experience, since I have sand in all my tanks, when I move them I might stick with a DSB in a refugium (I'm also considering a surge through the refugium so I get some "tidal" action, but don't know how that'll work for the whole "refuge" aspect of things), and then a SSB with the tanks or try to grow something along the bottoms to cover up the acrylic (something other than coraline). But I really don't know, its something I still am pondering over.

One thing I always throught of doing was siphoning out my existing sand, cleaning it out, and then slowly reintroducing it back into the tank. Sure any critters are gone, sure bacterial populations are reduced but you wouldn't siphon out THAT much of the sand at once, but you get the best of both worlds in that get that patch of sand free of detritius. Eitherway I'm staying away from the "experts" opinions, since seems none of them can make up their mind one way or another as to a consensus.

One major difference between this DSB bucket and a regular DSB or even a remote DSB in a refugium is, you need to feed it will filtered water. This will help prevent detritus from accumulating in it, and clogging it. Then it's strictly a denitrification device.

capescuba said:
So the big ol' debate on DSB vs BB has really just had you move the sand to somewhere else ;) Mike's gonna jump all over this one ;) But I can see the benefit of at least being able to get to the sand / clean / replace it etc ...

Nah, BB guys don't want them on their systems either. I put one in because I didn't cook my rock and its shedding faster than I can take care of it. For me its a band aid till the system kicks over.

Either way, my tank is totally on the mend - growth and color are exploding!

Back