Cali Kid Corals

DSB ?

I am and have no problems.

Actually, the debate on benefit is just one side of the coin - My current 210 tank is doing just fine with DSB (as was my previous one) ~ 6 years in total now. But my reasons for having DSB are more asthetic - I keep my tank for the "Piece of the ocean" in my living room, and it looks more authentic with sand IMO.

Dave

Dave,

You've been to lots of reefs, have you seen corals close to the sand? My experience is that less than 10% of corals are anywhere near the sand.

[quote author=capescuba link=topic=1784.msg16776#msg16776 date=1172964369]

Actually, the debate on benefit is just one side of the coin - My current 210 tank is doing just fine with DSB (as was my previous one) ~ 6 years in total now. But my reasons for having DSB are more asthetic - I keep my tank for the "Piece of the ocean" in my living room, and it looks more authentic with sand IMO.

Dave
[/quote]
So I won't one day have a release of "the rotten egg" that will crash my tank? How deep is your sand bed?

There is never a guarantee that this won't happen.

Hey Nash - did you ever get a chance to see my reply on the "introduction" page?

[quote author=nash link=topic=1784.msg16781#msg16781 date=1172985019]

Dave
[/quote]
So I won't one day have a release of "the rotten egg" that will crash my tank? How deep is your sand bed?
[/quote]

You might, you might not. That's one of the reasons I don't run them. And, it's not just the 'rotten egg' its the PO4.

:D

[quote author=Thales link=topic=1784.msg16808#msg16808 date=1173033902]
[quote author=nash link=topic=1784.msg16781#msg16781 date=1172985019]

Dave
[/quote]
[/quote]

You might, you might not. That's one of the reasons I don't run them. And, it's not just the 'rotten egg' its the PO4.

[/quote]
O.K. so that were the high PO4 is coming from. Thanks god for the PO4 reactor. Guess I'm stuck with buying more PO4 adsorption media.

HA!

Its might be where the po4 is coming from. It could also be coming from your food, your rock or plastic in your tank!

I sooo wish this were easy!

[quote author=Thales link=topic=1784.msg16816#msg16816 date=1173055820]
HA!

Its might be where the po4 is coming from. It could also be coming from your food, your rock or plastic in your tank!

I sooo wish this were easy!
[/quote]
PO4 from the plastic? Hmmm....

Plastic from salt buckets and bags and other plastics may add po4 to the water. The effect may wear off after a few days. Lots of 'mays' with the po4.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=1784.msg16828#msg16828 date=1173068501]
Plastic from salt buckets and bags and other plastics may add po4 to the water. The effect may wear off after a few days. Lots of 'mays' with the po4.
[/quote]
O.K. got to watch that.I just tested for PO4 so far the reactor madia is still good since it closed to the result is still low. I guess I have to test ever 2 weeks.

Hmm...I started to think about what would happen if the hydrogen sulfides were to escape from the sand bed. Since it would be a gas would it just float to the top? It wouldn't mix into the water would it? ???

Reports are that it can diffuse into the water and kill stuff. I think HS is only a small part of the possible problems with DSB's.

The dominant thinking about hydrogen sulfide in DSB's is that it will bubble off slowly enough that it won't cause a problem. What I still don't understand is why people keep many times the bioload (DSB) in a tank than is necessary for coral growth and display. If you like the sand look, pour an envirotech bottom. If you like sand gobies, get them a plastic shoebox of sand. If you like little crawly things, get an ant farm and save $10K. BTW, I'm sure we could schedule 15 minutes at the beginning of the April meeting to discuss this. It might be valuable for people setting up tanks since substrate is such a hotly debated issue right now.

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=1784.msg17306#msg17306 date=1173719625]BTW, I'm sure we could schedule 15 minutes at the beginning of the April meeting to discuss this. It might be valuable for people setting up tanks since substrate is such a hotly debated issue right now.
[/quote]

15 minutes of hot debate. Works for me :D

LOL - I knew where this thread was going!

Rich is of cource absolutely correct, you really don't see too many corals growing around sand - and in my tank, they are not growing in the sand either, it's on the rocks that are above the sand ... erm, just like in the sea :) Ok, they are closer, but we are limited by space in our tanks so it's all about trade offs.

Rich - you have dived plenty too, and how much of the coral varieties you've seen has been within 6-24" of the surface???

I have several critters poking around in my sand, nesarious (sp?) snails, crabs, etc. so I believe that is helping release any trapped organics etc. I periodically poke/stir it myself too. My bed is ~ 5" deep.

I actually wonder why anyone might want to keep a tank that is bare bottomed and full of plastic tubes and egg crate? Is it a modern art thing? I mean if you are running a store, then this is a coonvenient way to display stuff, but it's not really realistic.

And Jim - Your $10k thing??? I wish!!!! I reckon I spent that just getting the thing going - then PG&E takes a whole bunch more :)

[quote author=capescuba link=topic=1784.msg17475#msg17475 date=1173971876]
LOL - I knew where this thread was going!

Rich is of cource absolutely correct, you really don't see too many corals growing around sand - and in my tank, they are not growing in the sand either, it's on the rocks that are above the sand ... erm, just like in the sea :) Ok, they are closer, but we are limited by space in our tanks so it's all about trade offs.[/quote]

Rich - you have dived plenty too, and how much of the coral varieties you've seen has been within 6-24" of the surface???

Depends on where. In Tonga, a whole lot! However the sun is, in general, brighter than our lamps. :D
I actually wonder why anyone might want to keep a tank that is bare bottomed and full of plastic tubes and egg crate? Is it a modern art thing? I mean if you are running a store, then this is a coonvenient way to display stuff, but it's not really realistic.

t depends on what you are keeping the tank for. Upstairs for me is a show tank, so I want it to look good. Downstairs is about growth, so its egg crate. I guess maybe its like keeping orchids in pots, or keeping them in a terrarium.

Back