DSLR Repair.

Discussion in 'Photography' started by xcaret, Apr 3, 2015.

1. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Hi there !

About a year ago I "splurged" myself to a little DSLR, think it was $30; camera and basic lens; catch was it needs the shutter curtain replaced; I think I can tackle this issue but wondering about any affordable places that can do it? Found a person in San Leandro that states on his site $109, pretty good price but... yeah, the but's; he no longer works on Canon XTi/400D (Although his site states that specific model/repair)
    Most likely the camera will end being used by my son.

Thanks in advance

2. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Hate to say it but I don't think it's worth repairing - You're probably better off with a different model depending on what the little guy will be using it for. XTi bodies are $115 on Amazon =\ Sorry for the bad news! If you can DIY or if someone can repair at no cost, it may be worth the effort.

3. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

I figured it would not be worth the trouble after I got replies from local businesses. I think DIY; just have to get some de-soldering iron and order the shutter assembly from e-bay; the curtain blades are cheap ~$5, the whole assembly ~$4; accomplishing the repair "priceless"

4. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

5. anathema

anathema Guest

If you need something to use in the meantime, I've got a 1dii sitting around with a flaky shutter.

It works fine under 1/2000ths. Anything higher underexposes. You could have it, if you want. Still takes gorgeous 8mp photos, you just have to watch the shutter speed.

Uh, no warranty though. ;)

6. anathema

anathema Guest

Also, if you buy on CL, I'd suggest a T2i.

They are still modern sensor wise, but old enough to be cheap. You don't want a floppy screen around saltwater anyway!

7. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

I purchased a $2.00 shutter blade from e-bay and am fixing it today, my eyes are a bit tired of focusing on tiny delicate parts and connectors but so far so so...
    I could not reposition two tiny springs inside the curtain housing but if they are a matter of life and non-working properly, then I'll get the full shutter assembly.
    Stay tuned...

8. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Some images of the disaster... 005.jpg 006.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg

9. anathema

anathema Guest

Good luck!

xcaret likes this.
  10. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

So, after one year and I believe $25.00 for the camera and stock lens plus $2.00 shutter curtain, I have a full working DSLR.
    Bought a used Canon EF 80-200mm USM (from a film Canon EOS) two weeks ago for $25.00
    My son seems happy!

11. anathema

anathema Guest

That's awesome, Mario!

I should've called you when my shutter blade popped out:

[​IMG]