High Tide Aquatics

DSLR Repair.

Hi there !

About a year ago I "splurged" myself to a little DSLR, think it was $30; camera and basic lens; catch was it needs the shutter curtain replaced; I think I can tackle this issue but wondering about any affordable places that can do it? Found a person in San Leandro that states on his site $109, pretty good price but... yeah, the but's; he no longer works on Canon XTi/400D (Although his site states that specific model/repair)
Most likely the camera will end being used by my son.

Thanks in advance

Hate to say it but I don't think it's worth repairing - You're probably better off with a different model depending on what the little guy will be using it for. XTi bodies are $115 on Amazon =\ Sorry for the bad news! If you can DIY or if someone can repair at no cost, it may be worth the effort.

I figured it would not be worth the trouble after I got replies from local businesses. I think DIY; just have to get some de-soldering iron and order the shutter assembly from e-bay; the curtain blades are cheap ~$5, the whole assembly ~$4; accomplishing the repair "priceless"

If you need something to use in the meantime, I've got a 1dii sitting around with a flaky shutter.

It works fine under 1/2000ths. Anything higher underexposes. You could have it, if you want. Still takes gorgeous 8mp photos, you just have to watch the shutter speed.

Uh, no warranty though. ;)

Also, if you buy on CL, I'd suggest a T2i.

They are still modern sensor wise, but old enough to be cheap. You don't want a floppy screen around saltwater anyway!

I purchased a $2.00 shutter blade from e-bay and am fixing it today, my eyes are a bit tired of focusing on tiny delicate parts and connectors but so far so so...
I could not reposition two tiny springs inside the curtain housing but if they are a matter of life and non-working properly, then I'll get the full shutter assembly.
Stay tuned...

Some images of the disaster... 005.jpg 006.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg

So, after one year and I believe $25.00 for the camera and stock lens plus $2.00 shutter curtain, I have a full working DSLR.
Bought a used Canon EF 80-200mm USM (from a film Canon EOS) two weeks ago for $25.00
My son seems happy!

Back