DurTBear's 10 gallon frag tank

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by DurTBear, Sep 18, 2008.

1. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

Thanks guys! Yeah...it's not easy. Doing the front was a chore in itself. The sides have multiple layers though so it's going to be a workout!

2. nasotang

nasotang Guest

Nice job on the gurgle buster. The tanks looking good too.

You could also build in a small bubble tower.

http://www.melevsreef.com/video/trapped_bubbles.wmv

3. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

Someone on RC suggested that too. I think that's a great idea. It just might take up a lot of space in a 10 gallon but we'll see. I'm definitely open to the idea of trying it.

4. itsacrispy

itsacrispy Supporting Member

Nice job Durwin. I need to start thinking about eliminating these microbubbles and gurgling as well in my overflow :(.

5. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

Yeah...the microbubbles are tough. So many things generate microbubbles (skimmer, overflow, fuge return). A bunch of filter socks would do the trick although my tank would start looking like my laundry basket after a while...

6. Elite

Elite Guest

it's a frag tank. Do you really need to get rid off all the bubbles? If you can cut down the noise then go for it. If it gives you more flow, why not use it?

7. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

I guess it doesn't really matter in the end. But it's good practice for me when I setup my dream tank "the right way..." HAHAHA!!!

8. Elite

Elite Guest

hehehe.. actually if you setup a dream tank, I would think that you will have the sump/fuge. Most bubbles are gone by the time the water gets to the return pump if you have the sump setup correctly.

If you find a way to eliminate the bubbles, share.. It would be kinda cool to have two display tanks connect with one on top and one on the bottom 8) ..

9. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

The filter sock did the trick! Stuck one on the drain output and now there are no more bubbles! This should help with microbubbles and salt creep that has been severely building around the drain pipe.

10. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

Snapped some pics from my frag tank a while back and just wanted to share. The Bellina and Borealis were picked up last week at Ocean's Treasures.

ORA Bellina:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ORA Borealis:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunset monti:
    [​IMG]

Superman monti:
    [​IMG]

ORA Red Planet:
    [​IMG]

ORA Hawkins:
    [​IMG]

11. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

Those Monti's look awesome Durwin

12. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

Thanks Ant. They're definitely two of my favorite pieces of coral in my tanks. I just need to glue them down onto some rock rubble so they'll grow out. Then I can put them into DBTC hopefully sometime this year.

13. adolfo425

adolfo425 Guest

Very nice tank and frag tank you have setup.

Adolfo

14. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

Thanks Adolfo. The frag tank definitely added a bit more to my maintenance/workload on the fish tanks. Have to top off more frequently and change out the filter socks every week or two. But it's been a fun and educational experience!