Reef nutrition

Dying Montiporas

Hi,

I have some montiporas that turned white in within the last week or so. They were perfectly healthy and my water parameters have been consistently good. It seems coincidental, but my last w/c was the bottom of the bucket of Seachem's Salinity (original lot); and was wondering if this could be the cause? The other thing I'm thinking is I used a scalpel to remove some mushrooms and thought maybe the secretions from the dying mushrooms may have tainted the corals. It could be some sort of bacteria too, but am not sure what to do next. So far, I don't see any other of the montiporas dying off.

Thanks for your feedback,
Joel

Yes, long time. Lost in the Summer Fog- If you can call this soggy weather a Summer. Thx, for your comments and vote of confidence.

ALK's been 10.2 to 10.4. I did notice my CA and ALK numbers were a bit on the low side at the bottom of the Salinity bucket, but I got them back in line within a couple of days (CA was 390 and ALk was 9.6). Raised my dosing pumps too, as I think the stonies are really sucking up Randy's Two Part.

It's wierd: First, Screebo's Pearl Berry (acro) was doing all right. Then, overnight it was bone white. Then, within the week, I found Jar's Rainbow Monti, Screebo's Tyree Original Undata, 2 Spongoide Montis I won at a MARS a raffle all turned white. Two of my Orange Caps started to whiten, but it look like they'll be fine All the other corals and sea life is going strong. The Superman Monti looks like it might make it too. I haven't seen this sort of spreading like this. My tank needs a little more thinning out, as your Ponape and some of the others have gotten pretty big and starting to touch stuff.

I hate having this happen so close to the Swap. Now, I'm not sure how welcomed I'm going to be there, but I do have some heavily encrusted Green and Blue Sticks that are nice and I fragged part of your Green Body B.Ns, that I need to package and label b4 Saturday's Swap 12 frags in total. If you think I should not bring these frags I would understand, but I think this problem just seems to be with the Montis.

I'm hoping to participate in this year's Swap. LMWYT.

Best,
Joel

You're welcome to attend the swap, just because a few corals are protesting doesn't mean you can't come.

Have you calibrated your refract lately?

tuberider said:
You're welcome to attend the swap, just because a few corals are protesting doesn't mean you can't come.

Have you calibrated your refract lately?

Thank you for letting me know. Yes: I've been using the BARS Calibrating Reference and also Marine Depot's Calibrating Reference too. Levels stay consistently well b/c of the Chiller and the temperate climate here.

Thank you for taking the time to view my post and for responding back. Much appreciated. Now off to get some deli containers.... Hooray :)

No problem Joel, call me Sunday at home, I'll be around with Joey watching the game. I can swing by when picking him up or dropping him off and check in with ya and see what's going on :)

Get a new Alk test kit. I know (don't ask how) that montiporas are first to go if your Alk is low. Nothing else is visually affected.
Higher temperature too, but that stresses out everything.

tuberider said:
No problem Joel, call me Sunday at home, I'll be around with Joey watching the game. I can swing by when picking him up or dropping him off and check in with ya and see what's going on :)

Will do :0) Much Appreciated. I'll have a cold one ready. Looking forward to the Swap.

zepplock said:
Get a new Alk test kit. I know (don't ask how) that montiporas are first to go if your Alk is low. Nothing else is visually affected.
Higher temperature too, but that stresses out everything.

Thank you for responding to my post. H)

I'm using Salifert's ALK kit, and I just checked it against their 7.4 reference. The reference is off by .2 (7.6 vs 7.4 ). Still not enough of a difference to make a difference (I suppose). In any event. I have my 2 part on Drew's dosers and they seem to be pumping the right amount.

Thanks again for posting, and a Shout Out to Mr. Ugly too.

treylane said:
Also - high mag will kill montis. Usually in an stn kinda way.

I'm Dosing 20oz Two Part MG, and the system can hold the MG at 1370-1400 between bottles. I'll re-double my efforts and run another MG test. Thanks for your vaulable insights. H)

Hey Reefers,

Mystery solved.

I had to cut out (all my Montis) after Jeremy discovered Monti Eating Nudies in my display. The upside is it's freeing up a lot of prime real estate. I hate those #X*!! (expletive, expletive) The tank is still showing well even thought I had to remove more than a years worth of growth. Now I'm dipping the mother colonies in Revive every 4 days for the next 2-3 months. Another BIG SHOUT OUT TO DR. JEREMY for his Diagnosis, Revive, and Moral Support. Even after all this still, I still love reefing.

Thanks to All for reading my posts and for responding too.

Joel / R.K.

anathema said:
Ouch! Good luck with your battle. I've been there, luckily mine were all on one colony.

Thank you. I think I'll be able to get them knocked out pretty quickly. I'm determined to rid these varmints, and I don't think it will be difficult - just lengthy/ time consuming. The hard parts was cutting them off the live rock.

Sometimes it's better to sacrifice the colonies and just make a few tiny clean frags.

Those monti nudi's can take a while to show back up after you think they're all gone.

Mr. Ugly said:
Sometimes it's better to sacrifice the colonies and just make a few tiny clean frags.

Those monti nudi's can take a while to show back up after you think they're all gone.

+1
It took me quit a while but I got rid of them.

Then I got AEFW and have not seen any since January.
I think I got lucky on both accounts and caught them very early.
That being said. When you think you got them. Let three months go by before you celebrate.

JAR said:
...I think I got lucky on both accounts and caught them very early.
That being said. When you think you got them. Let three months go by before you celebrate.

Thanks everybody for weighing in on the matter.

I've already discarded the small pieces, so I'm committed for the next 3 months to perform the treatments dutifully....

Back