Cali Kid Corals

Dying Montiporas

Thx Norm- I hope that wont have to be the case. How will I know when it's time to stop treatment?

If the unlikely event I was to throw out all my montis, how long would you think I'd have to wait before putting new montiporas in the display tanks, so to not reinfect them?

Yea. Thank you. Kind of got that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. :Sp

Just found this resource online. Everything you want to know about M.E.N.. H)

http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Feature-Articles/The-Montipora-Eating-Nudibranch-(09/11/06) :glasses:

I learned that if M.E.N. don't have a host, they can last for apx 2 months, but that's not set in stone. Also, M.E.N. can live on live rock near surrounding places montis were placed till they can find their next victim. So I did not relocate any of the pieces near where I dislodged them from.... I read that besides Coris Wrasses, certain crabs will eat M.E.N. too, but the article did not discuss which crabs would rid them. The articled stated that predators such as the Coris Wrasses are not always an effect means of control, because M.E.N. live in crevices which make it difficult for these fish to get at them.

That's it here from M.E.N. headquarters.

nudibranch said:
Maybe you could shorten the waiting time with a wrasse, I heard there are types that will eat the nudibranchs and are reef safe.

Thank you Nudibranch. H) I never thought I be saying that given the situation with Monti Eating Nudibranches.... 0:) Yes: Yellow or Orange Coris Wrasses are suppose to work, as does the Lubbock Wrasses. I've been looking for a Multicolor Lubbock, but the Coris Wrasses seem to be more readily available in the hobby.

Thank you for reading my post and for taking the time to post back. I appreciate that. :glasses:

The montis had their third dipping, brushing and basting yesterday, and they so seem to be responding well to the treatment.

On an upbeat note- I put some time into rearranging some of my colonies, then deep cleaned the coraline algae from the back and sides of the main display and fuge, serviced the all the pumps (which was badly needed), and now the tank system is really operating and showing nicely. This is one hobby that really needs a continuos focus on it. Thanks to all the Club Members who keep this hobby interesting and help keep me sane when #@%* happens. :evil:

I too have had montis just go away when everything else thrived including other montis. Long shot: Be sure the affected monti is not in "too much" flow. It can prevent the polyps from extending and hence, stop feeding. Since programing a gentle night cycle, my montis and acros are extending polyps much better. Like you, my Pearlberry went away a few months ago along with Jon's Oregon Tort. Just bleached and went away. My guess is that nearly all members could post regular updates about corals that went away for mysterious reasons. In most cases, I find my perimeters have changed. Last stress condition was when my S.G. rose to 1.028 and alk was up to 13-14 Kh. Caused my Strawberry Fields monti cap to completely withdraw it's polyps and turn brown. I recognized new growth continuing, however and just kept the faith. It's fine now. Never give up on a coral until it's quite clearly dead.

GreshamH said:
Did you get a wrasse yet?

No: I can't find the one I'm looking for (Rainbow Lubbock sp?). I hear wrasses can't always reach the pests, or don't always know how to hunt for them. It appears the Nudis are getting under control with the Revive.

Stopped dipping, and no re infestation past 2-3 weeks. I may need to keep dipping the purple haze monti; but so far so good.

Check out some of my current redesign photos on my Tank Journal page if you'd like (link below). I'm pleased.

Best to all....

Back