Kessil

easy coral

hey guys, what are some relatively easy coral to take care of? this is my first tank and i want to get some color in it with out going over board with things i don't fully understand just yet.

hey guys, what are some relatively easy coral to take care of? this is my first tank and i want to get some color in it with out going over board with things i don't fully understand just yet.

Xenia, green star polyps, leather toadstool, any kind of mushroom, zoanthids!

Best to take it slow and make a plan of what you want your tank to be in a year or 2 before adding whatever looks good and possibly being stuck with that.

It is good, as Mike points out, make a plan for the future; is easier to romove a small rock with certain coral than having to take out a big rock with different corals on it because you just want to remove one type of coral.

Cool. I'll start out with. Drawing and figure out where and which corals I want them. Thanks for the help guys!

Oh yeah another question. Is it bad for corals to be out of water when transferring from bag to tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gsp , Xenia , confine them in separate rocks.
Vargas cespitularia, blasto, Mohawk zoa, radio active green eye zoa, Miami hurricane chalice , most Cloves , green pociliopora/birdnest all are easy and available in excess from one or other club members . I can give you at least three of the above mentioned corals

Cool. I'll start out with. Drawing and figure out where and which corals I want them. Thanks for the help guys!

Oh yeah another question. Is it bad for corals to be out of water when transferring from bag to tank?

Not as long as it’s only for a short period, say few minutes

Gsp , Xenia , confine them in separate rocks.
Vargas cespitularia, blasto, Mohawk zoa, radio active green eye zoa, Miami hurricane chalice , most Cloves , green pociliopora/birdnest all are easy and available in excess from one or other club members . I can give you at least three of the above mentioned corals

Haha I don't know most of these names, have to google imagines to see what those even are. But sure I would gladly have any you can donate. [emoji106]

How big and old is your tank. If your nitrogen cycle has already completed then probably start with GSP.
Share details about your setup, things like light, flow etc. They are critical to determine what type of coral you can keep.

20 gal Nuvo tank.
Nanobox dual plus m
Reactor on back with some macroalgae I got from a store.
Flow I don't know right now(out of town for New Years) but I got a power head I put on the left side of the tank so it can circulate the back.

Tank was started three weeks ago, zero ammonia, zero nitrite, nitrate was 7 last time I checked (couple days ago) cal/mag were in what I believe to be normal rangers (don't remember it off top of my head) I do 10% change outs every week.

I bought a few corals from a local store to start off. They seem to be doing fine and waving in the water.

I have some pictures I can share of my set up. Not that good at photoing yet so everything seems super blue.

fbe5b30e12dd13ac0c91bf520710569d.jpg
7f786bee1bd4a66d50348c0a33dfbd23.jpg
8d0c74375d6e8d24e0c733245a318c88.jpg
2f8172773750df7daff0802add0e6195.jpg

db6f8463fd03fdb4da01eeb58affcc8e.jpg

This is a sweet setup, you have skimmer and chaeto reactor going already. With that duo light, you should be able to grow even acropora in this tank :)

Lets start with GSP and let it grow for a few weeks, then slowly start adding radio active dragon eye, mohawks , various easy to keep montis. I am in foster city, lets sort out the pick up time by PM.

I love the light. But honestly don't know what strength each color should be set to, so I have it set to what it came as. Seems 'fine' because throughout the day they slowly go up and back down over a 12 hour cycle.

This is a sweet setup, you have skimmer and chaeto reactor going already. With that duo light, you should be able to grow even acropora in this tank :)

Lets start with GSP and let it grow for a few weeks, then slowly start adding radio active dragon eye, mohawks , various easy to keep montis. I am in foster city, lets sort out the pick up time by PM.
Are you sure you want to start him off with gsp? A lot of reefers consider gsp more of a weed. It can become invasive if you don’t keep it contained and managed.

Are you sure you want to start him off with gsp? A lot of reefers consider gsp more of a weed. It can become invasive if you don’t keep it contained and managed.

Start with some toadstool and frogspawn...”wavy corals” Zoas are boring!

GSP works too if you keep it isolated to a tiny single rock island.

Its not a pain if its contained in a rock, but yeah agree that it can be invasive. I would not recommend putting it in main island of the rockscape. The good thing is, once he is at my place he can take a look at different things and make a choice, I have orange digitata to grandis , that i can trim down. three, four different type of challice as well,

Completely agree with tankguy. Anything easy, is easy for a good reason, they'll become a PITA.

The best looking while easy (hard to kill) would probably be a toadstool coral. Softy so not much light is required. Haven't done a water change in 1+ year and its still going. Don't follow in my footsteps though!

Back