Kessil

Ecoxotic 100 watt LED cannon

So ive been going back and forth with Ecoxotic asking them for pictures so I can decied if I want to buy this product and finally got a few pics. Just wanted to share with anyone intrested in the product. This unit also can be dimmed! They also told me that the 1 unit can cover a 36x24 area.

CoralFeverCannonPendants500gal.jpg

216454_204877642875960_105209279509464_616155_4718486_n.jpg

Might be worse.
Looks like the driver is not included in that price.
$90 non-dimmable, $130 dimmable.

But $6/watt seems to be in a fairly normal range for off the shelf quality LED lighting.
And from my DIY build research, you would be lucky to get below $3/watt unless you go with low quality components.

Not cheap things. But then - is anything in reefkeeping?

Given the cost of the tank alone, the lighting is right inline for the price. It's not like that is a $500 tank... more like $4K.

Bah, stupid rich folk!

Come on technology! I want cheaper LEDs! We need Windows 7 to incorporate LEDs somehow, just like how WinNT dropped RAM prices from $100/meg to like 1 cent or whatever.

Vincerama2 said:
Bah, stupid rich folk!

Come on technology! I want cheaper LEDs! We need Windows 7 to incorporate LEDs somehow, just like how WinNT dropped RAM prices from $100/meg to like 1 cent or whatever.

How many people that you know have an EXIT sign in their house ;)

heh yah that tank looks to be a true cube.. 4' x 4' x 4' :D

Might not be too bad, the Kessil's are 30watt for $300 (non-dimable), that said you can't really compare wattages with LED as it never is an apples to apples comparison (hell Kessil actually makes all the parts themselves).

Am curious though why the 100watt ones are cheaper than the 50watt ones.. maybe 50 watt ones have the driver already inside of them, or perhaps they're simply a legacy product that they still have stock of.

Anyways, wonder why no Ecoxotic at BAYMAC, I remember seeing them before I think. Also they need to up their Google-fu, I googled the terms "ecoxotic photon cannon" (without quotes) and it was half way down on the second page that their website is located, that's pretty crappy search results IMO... nothing personal but I could give a crap about aquarium blogs and what not reviews of a product, that should be a secondary search that pops up not a primary.

Ecoxotic and numerous others had other events to do. BAYMAC is in conflict with some pretty major shows globally (Interzoo and Aquarama - the two largest in the world) and some other US events.

Vincerama2 said:
Bah, stupid rich folk!

For a bit of fun : Lets analyze that: (In a convoluted silly way of course)

LCD displays with LED back-lighting are becoming more common now.
That increased volume is helping to drive down LED pricing.
Windows 7 is used on a lot of computers that drive those monitors.
So Windows 7 impacts the cost of an LED.
In 1993, when WinNT was introduced, 100W LEDs were a figment of the imagination.
So the cost difference for a 100W LED between WinNT and Win7 is a factor of infinity.

Thus the simple logic follow that when Windows 8 merges with iOS, LEDs will be free.
:)

I knew there was a reason I was holding out. :D

And yes, eventually LED lights will be free. I got some free PC lights with new bulbs a few months ago, and I can remember wishing I had the money for that new technology...

By the time LEDs are "free" a new technology will be out that you'll drool over and LEDs won't even been on your radar. I have some incandescents I can give you for free ;)

Gomer said:
By the time LEDs are "free" a new technology will be out that you'll drool over and LEDs won't even been on your radar. I have some incandescents I can give you for free ;)

If you've got 100w'ers I say Ebay them in a year for tons of money (once the ban has them all off the shelf)

davskee said:
50watt ones I think come with drivers and as for Kessil making all their stuff I highly doubt they are make their own leds.

Kessil doesn't, Dicon does, their parent company, and here in the Bay Area, not China.

http://www.diconlighting.com/

50watt ones I think come with drivers.

You can get the dimmable drivers for about 70 bucks. The price on the Eco site for the dimmable driver is just a meanwell driver 100 watt.

Thats cool all USA made! I wouldnt mind supporting them. But until they release that new light that you can control the color temp I might just go with Ecoxotic.

Yeah should have mentioned that with Kessil, that's simply the branch that puts together the a150w (or whatever product number). The parent company does the dirty work of making the stuff :D

I really like Kessil's too, however dimming would be a great advantage to tipping the scale to get them. I believe they don't do dimming because there primary application is greenhouse type lighting, in which case who cares if it's all on or all off, they just recently made their move to the aquarium side of things.

Back