Edible and nutritious Eggs?!!?

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by Ibn, Mar 14, 2010.

1. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

No "attractants" used actually, it's the process used to make it that allows the "smells" to remain.

2. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Nice! Can't wait to see what you guys introduce next.

3. Matt_Wandell

Matt_Wandell Honorary Member

I'm glad it helped you out. So, to clarify, have the tukas started eating the capelin eggs?

Easy way to get the ventralis really really fat right away is to go collect some live mysis from Lake Merced. Boy, they love 'em, and the mysis are very easy to gut load.

4. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Nope, no go on the capelin eggs from either of them. They mouth them, but then end up spitting it out. The smaller tuka is really sensitive with the size of the food and the capelins are bigger than the size it likes. It prefers smaller food such as rotifers and the ova instead.

5. phishphood

phishphood Guest

Matt- not worried about pollutants in there? Lake Merced is....man.....I hate paddling on top of the water, let alone seeing whats in it.

6. Matt_Wandell

Matt_Wandell Honorary Member

I wasn't aware that Lake Merced was polluted...is it? It is very green, but that's a good thing for mysis. They eat stuff that eats phytoplankton. I mean, look at the lakes where brine shrimp is harvested...

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I just did some reading on it and Lake Merced doesn't sound all that polluted. The phyto die off and low DO that comes with that may make people think it's polluted. Everything I just read was late 90's early 00 though. It also sounds like the City needs to allow more flow to it.

8. phishphood

phishphood Guest

Very well could be all us paddlers are just concerned about bacteria in it and not pollution. All I know is that water tastes horrible :)

9. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Now that I can get behind. There are plenty of unpolluted lakes I wouldn't swim in due to natural stuff like bacteria, algae, etc.

10. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

My foxface (finally) loves the Otohime. Despite being big for him (EP-2), so does my royal gamma. My clown tries but it is too big for him. I'm going to have to buy the smaller stuff soon :-D

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Tonys back.... we missed you at the meeting :)

EP-2 is huge... I can see how it would be too large for the clown.

12. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

slightly OT - where did you get the Tuka's from?

13. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Karson from AC.

14. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

It is huge, and I have no idea how the royal gramma chows down on 5-6 of them! I feed a wide range of food and sizes at once and he goes for those monstrosities!

I missed the meeting :( I really wish I could have gone, but I was soaking up the rays in Mexico! I'll be there at BAYMAC though!!!

15. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Guest

Where can you get otohime?

16. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

http://www.reed-store.com/
    You MAY be able to get it through one of your LFSs as well.

17. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

It would be a special order item for the store and I think they can only get the multi kilo bags or the sample pack. Reed-Store is the best way. Just do it GROUND, no need for overnight as GROUND is overnight so close by.