Neptune Aquatics

Electrical cost of running a reef tank in SF

If you have anything but Composite Roofs, you are going to pay a bunch extra for installation.

My Cedar shingle roof was leaving shingles in the garden every time we had a storm and lots of neighbours with similar age roofs were fixing their roof or moving to Composite or other roof types.... So I changed my roof and the Solarcity bill dropped by $4000. We had three companies offering significant discounts to eBay employees (I work at PayPal). Of the three Akeena, solarcity and some other shower :), I liked solarcity best and they turned out to be the best value. They did a stellar job. SolarCity did the eBay installation itself.. massive installation.

One thing that I found telling about SolarCity was that my buddy down the street (another eBayer) was quoted by 2 prices and encouraged to move forward but SolarCity told him he would be foolish to go Solar with his house and Tree layout... Also, they have funding from some big ex-paypalians so I have to like em.

-Adrian

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3627.msg43530#msg43530 date=1211140862]
Have you thought about converting some of your gas usage equipment into electric? Stoves, Clothes Driers, Space heaters instead of central heating (I mean really when its cold does the whole house need to be warm vs just you?), water heaters (although if going this route I'd propose a solar water heater as they're much more efficient than using solar power to power an electric heater), or a tankless electric water heater in conjunction with solar heating.

As to PG&E, they still need to to maintain all the lines, and while yeah they're pretty tight fisted about some things, I think they really get the short end of the stick by being forced to buy back excess power at your cost vs. their cost during the day. Granted for a user of solar energy that's a godsend, ask Jim :D However if you're connected to the grid they still give you power as well.

[/quote]

The only thing I use gas for is my stove-top and waterheater. I looked into tankless and it was a pita. Loads of extra gas work and tons of expense to make it a reality... I'd have maybe gone for it, but my old tank actually ruptured so I had to move quickly and I don't want to replace the replacement it as it's only about 6 months old.

I like the electric car or plugin hybrid idea if I cut my reeftank out :)

I think 30K (shoot I can't remember) and it is 5.2KW dc

I'll get back on the before and after....
....I don't have it handy but looking at my BofA statement. I had bills of well over 200... maybe 250 average and the last two months i've paid 60$.

How long ago was that? 30k for 5.2kW isn't half bad for someone else to do the installation! Just looking at raw parts for a DIY gets upwards of that ballpark

Very recently. This is AFTER Rebate (8,500) and with the eBay discount. I think eBay give me 200$ a year because I'm a green citizen while I still work there. That included a Panel upgrade too.

Look at the size of the eBay install and you get an idea of the kind of bulk panel buying that SolarCity can do I guess.

-Adrian

That's a great price. Now I'm GREEN with envy! ;D
But hey, I paid $2,000+ for an IBM-AT clone with a 20 MB harddrive. RAM was 256k, I think.
Jim
old fart

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3627.msg43634#msg43634 date=1211336459]
How long ago was that? 30k for 5.2kW isn't half bad for someone else to do the installation! Just looking at raw parts for a DIY gets upwards of that ballpark
[/quote][quote author=stubbsz link=topic=3627.msg43628#msg43628 date=1211325274]
I had bills of well over 200... maybe 250 average and the last two months i've paid 60$.
[/quote]

Looks like the 60$ you're paying now is for the gas usage?

I don't know if they lease in the conventional sense, but what they will do is size your home up, and outfit you with all the solar power "they" think you'll need and simply charge you a fixed rate for however long you use it based only upon how much electricity you use, almost like a mini power company. Last I talked to someone they said something like 12 cents per kWh, which is a bit more more than PG&E rates at the baseline, but beyond that it's great.

The upside is they do all the install and maintenance on your equipment and you don't pay a single dime of your own money and the cost you pay won't change regardless of what PG&E rates are, the downside is you're still paying for power.

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=3627.msg43693#msg43693 date=1211391725]
[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3627.msg43634#msg43634 date=1211336459]
[/quote][quote author=stubbsz link=topic=3627.msg43628#msg43628 date=1211325274]
I had bills of well over 200... maybe 250 average and the last two months i've paid 60$.
[/quote]

Looks like the 60$ you're paying now is for the gas usage?
[/quote]I've paid about the min for electric each month.

I think I might only need about 2.5kw solar panel setup. If my estimate is right that would cost me about $20k. But less the Fed rebate of $2000 and less CSI of $2.5 per watt = $2.5x2500= $6250. My net cost would be ~ $12k. Not bad.

Do you have room.. you want south facing roofs and you want to be shadow free. Each string of panels are wired such that a little shade on one panel, say 50% shaded, would drop the efficiency of all the panels to 50%. So make sure no little vent or chimney shades where you want the panels.

I've two inverters, two sets of panels... There is a camphor tree next door that shades a couple of panels in the morning, it cost me 500$ in rebates and I don't produce well in the early morning off that inverter. If I was an A$%hole, or at least a bigger one :), I'd take them to court to have the tree taken down.

Check this out: ( you should be able to see where the and when the shadow of the tree falls... the different colors represent the two inverters.

http://solarguard.solarcity.com/Kiosk/SolarGuard.aspx?ID=2A62FB47-2F15-4860-96C9-C0BB64F2243E&GroupID=0&AutoDemo=1&Timeout=90&Share=0&RangeType=Day&ChartDate=5_21_2008

I only see a 50% max production on you panels. Should it not be producing 5.2kw at least at 12nn?

The panels when installed on my roof will face where the sun rises. There is no obstruction from trees or buildings. Do you think I will be able to get the max output with this setup.

There is room for at least 15 48"x24" panels that I can put in just one side of the roof.

The ideal is be on the south facing roof.... If you look around for Faqs you will find you will get around 90% of what you get facing south, if you face East or West. If you move to Australia, be sure to go with North facing...

5.2 KwH is DC, I know you lose in the DC-AC conversion... I'll have to get some feedback about what I actually should produce on a sunny clear day.. one without a 4000 Acre fire burning in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Solar Faq.
What peak output should I expect to see from my system?
It is not uncommon to see actual peak AC power in kilowatts be less than 70% of the DC system size. In some cases, when it is sunny and cool, the peak output may be higher. You may occasionally see an effect called cloud enhancement, which occurs when the edges of passing clouds act as lenses, directing more sunlight than normal on your system, momentarily boosting peak output. Even in these cases, the total system production in kilowatt hours is still lower than it would be on a clear day, simply because the temporary highs do not offset the times when clouds come fully between your system and the sun.

Doesn't explain where the other 20% went... I should was all that tree pollen off :)

BTW, there are laws regarding solar power generating & tree growing neighbors, it's called the Solar Rights Act.

So the big questions if you have any case.
Did it start shading within one year? If yes, you have no case since you should have foreseen it.
Does the tree block more than 10% of your panels between the hours of 10am and 2pm? If no, then you have no case.
How old is the tree? If it was planted before 1979 it's "grandfathered" over the law.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3627.msg43773#msg43773 date=1211491358]
BTW, there are laws regarding solar power generating & tree growing neighbors, it's called the Solar Rights Act.

So the big questions if you have any case.
Did it start shading within one year? If yes, you have no case since you should have foreseen it.
Does the tree block more than 10% of your panels between the hours of 10am and 2pm? If no, then you have no case.
How old is the tree? If it was planted before 1979 it's "grandfathered" over the law.

[/quote]

TreeNext door neighbours tree is probably from late 80's...

The people in SunnyVale used the law you quote to force the neighbours to have their well established redwoods hacked back. The trees were definitely there well in advance of the panels...10 Years old in fact.

BTW, I don't care if I have a case really, I'll deal with the loss of production.

Yeah, I read that Sunnyvale story (ironic for the town :D). And if I recall the guy had an absolute monster of a system, something like 10kW worth of power. It is sad, the law needs to be re-written in a large way IMO. I have a couple trees in my backyard that have the potential to shade my whole house... maybe in 20 years, but they're my problem and I'll deal with them. If I saw a grove a redwoods in the neighbors yard I would think twice about setting up a solar panel setup where he did.

Back