High Tide Aquatics

Elite 12G

I see that you have two pumps besides the outflow that comes with the system. Plus, you have sparse rock work. I am having problems with red slime. I think I don't have enough circulation. I'll add another pump and remove some rock to see if that will help. I also added carbon and polyfilter to remove nutrients to deprive the slime. I had chaetomorpha in the tank, but the red slime grew right over it. I took out the worse parts and will add more from my larger tanks. Wish me luck!

Oh, another thing... What kind of lights do you use? I have the 70 watt 10,000K MH that it came with, but was wondering if it is too much. Someone suggested I change the bulb to 14,000K to decrease algae. What do you think?

I'm using the same light. Yeah I have a lot of flow for a softy tank. What are you using for water change and topoff? That could be the problem. I use RO water that I got from the drink water store. It's not great but it's not bad. My tank is too small to get and RO/DI unit.

Unfortunately, not RO/DI water. We don't have a unit either. I thought about buying bottled salt water, but that is time consuming and can get expensive. My larger tanks seem to be fine without it...so far. I top off with filtered water - Britta, Pur, etc. The kind you make in a pitcher for drinking. Hopefully it doesn't add anymore unwanted elements or nutrients.

I'm going to try your trick by increasing flow. Thanks for posting your tank journal, I've learned a lot. :)

So you are using "tap" water then?? I don't know if that filter is any good. Where do you live? Tap water in SJ is horrible..
MH light kick in at 6:30PM and turn off at 12:30PM .. :)

We live in San Ramon. Don't know about the tap water here, but I do know that it is no way near as pure as in Hawaii. I can tell by the taste. However, it isn't nearly as bad as some other places I've been. I aerate for days before using it, and I aerate 24+hours after adding salt. I also add carbon and phosban and/or polyfilter to all tanks, Hoping that will do the trick. The larger tanks are doing fine. Everything seems to be ok; growing, splitting, reproducing. In fact, I need to get rid of some "easy" corals; too many!

I'm glad I asked you about your lights. I've been lighting my tank for 10 hours. Perhaps this is part of the problem. I see you only light yours for 6. My lights used to be on for 12! I guess MHs are too intense for such a long lighting period in such a small tank. My PC's are on for 10-12 hours daily in my bigger tanks. All seems well with them, so I just figured it would be ok to do the same in the 12 gal. nano. I guess not. :(

Thanks for your input. I will make three changes to my system; more circulation, less rock, less lights. If those don't do the trick, I'll change my water... :)

Try 8 hours first...

Get a TDS meter to measure your water. You can't really test the water by tasting it ;D .. Tap water in SJ is about 300-400PPM. That is way too high. You want 0. The water I bought at the store is not 0 :( but it low enough to use.

This is an expensive model. You can get a cheap one for about $15-$20.
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/TDSMINI/TDS_Mini_Handheld_Meter_From_Senno.html

Thanks for the site. I will look into it. Any other small, inexpensive gadgets you would recommend?

What do you consider acceptable ppm? I assume the TDS measures all dissolved elements, whether beneficial or not?

Yes, on the lighting. I was going to gradually reduce. Perhaps 9 hours, then 8. However, my blue Xenia really likes the high lights. It has doubled since getting it last month. It is situated literally 5 inches from the bulb.

Picked up this little guy today at AG. Hopefully he will be ok in my tank.
rainfordgoby.jpg

Thats what you got at AG. I was looking at the bag when you were at the counter and couldn't seeing anything in there ha,ha,ha That little guy must have been pretty small. Anyways, love the colors. Thanks for the ride back from AG.

Yeah he is small.. I think he's around 1.5". I wanted to get the little Chevron Tang at DPV but Bryan said it's too big for my tank :( ..

[quote author=Elite link=topic=3565.msg56275#msg56275 date=1222017669]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3565.msg56258#msg56258 date=1221983362]
Fans?
[/quote]
don't get it
[/quote]

+1

I saw a post I can't find now about Phongs temp rising once the lights went off....guess I'm nuts as I can't find it now :)

Good :)

My point was did your fans turn off when the lights did? That would explain you elevated temp after lights out. Your bulbs, reflector, etc all retain heat and could very well create such an increase.

Back