got ethical husbandry?

Elos 120 (liter)

Friends: Proof that I listen a good part of the time: I moved three things based on input from members, the cyphastrea is now where the Pink Panther chalice colony was........saving the dendros from potential damage from the chalice as well as placing the cyphastrea where it won't FRY in the intense light of the Photon Plus (no wonder I couldn't keep a cyphastrea for more than a month) and...........for good measure, I moved the Red Planet acro from the far right end of the tank to the middle of the tank where it can sun bathe properly. Now all I have to do is clip that little paly that is hitch hiking on my Jedi Mind Trick monti and we're good for now. Pics later today.

Everything below the skyline is about "full" and finally placed.

By the way, I received my Gryphon diamond band saw today. YEAH! Ok..............easy John.........

First report on the Pinpoint II calcium meter: It would not calibrate, called Pinpoint and they respectfully asked me to return the probe after verifying that I had gone through all th right steps and that is was an "older" generation probe based on it's markings. It went back to CT via Priority Mail today. I just HATE when things don't work the way they are supposed to.

All the moving of frags made complete sense to me and one thing led to another. I was sucessful in moving the cyphastria and it looks better. I also moved the big Pink Panther chalice coloney but I'm not sure it will remain when I've put it. I now realize that a 90 gal tank is not a BIG tank. I'm already running out of room in the lower levels when I factor in expected growth. Lots of room for SPS on top still. Once I wipe down the algae bloom (oh yeah, Baby, I've got the bloom) I'll let things settle and do another series of pics. I'm almost ready to just leave it alone for a while.................:cool:

Thanks Robert. The additions from Neptune sure look great. I really love that Jedi Mind Trick monti. I've had it on my wish list for a while. After today, my final arrangement of livestock should be done and I'll keep up with update photos.

As I prepared to clean some glass, the Lineatus Wrasse jumped out like a bar of soap leaving your grip in the shower. He landed behind the tank. It took me about 45 seconds to move things, pull the tank out and rescue the fish. Next day, I designed back boards out of acrylic. Tap Plastics sawed them for me and I installed. Now, when they jump, they simply rebound back into the tank. Pretty funny eh?

Testimonial: I should have listened to Jeremy when he saw my post regarding the addition of the wrasse and he said, "Now all you need is a lid".

The proper hanging kit has been installed, finally, as well. The front piece is opaque dark grey and the others are clear. the front piece hinges up and when down, adheres to the glass with small suction cups installed in the lower corners.
VDay23.jpg

VDay25.jpg

VDay28.jpg

VDay30.jpg

screebo said:
...He landed behind the tank. It took me about 45 seconds to move things, pull the tank out and rescue the fish.

Nice modifications. Glad you were able to rescue your little friend. 0:) That should keep it safe going forward. Glad to see your lighting system is completed too.

So too often, I see posts where the fishy doesn't make it; glad this story has a happy ending. :bigsmile:

BTW: Tank looks nice :star:

Looks like a pink birds nest mid reef on left side. Did you get that at Neptune? They have some of those there and almost left with one last month. Nice.

Looks like you added a bunch of stuff since last time I saw your reef. I see you kept the Blasto where I suggested; and it has really spread out nicely.

Thanks, Joel. I'm real happy with progress. Now if I can just get through the rest of the start-up algae blooms. I love it when the interior glass cleaning drops off to a couple times a week. I am running a Phosban reactor and skimming like a son-of-a-gun so that should help

I hate to say it but if you have any open area (even 1") a fish will find it, trust me on that one. They seem to have a knack for finding such things :(

GreshamH said:
I hate to say it but if you have any open area (even 1") a fish will find it, trust me on that one. They seem to have a knack for finding such things :(

So true. I a totally enclosed hood save for a small hole over the top of the overflows (maybe 1") sure enough my choris wrasse jumped and made his way out of the tank and into one of the overflow boxes.

Well.........................I trust the experience of all that have dealt with the jumping wrasse syndrome. Thanks for taking time to offer your experience based concern. After all, I've had eels and fresh water gar jump out of a 1" slot where the feeder dumped in. Still, I can't believe that fish size up an exit slot then jump for it. My guess is that it's entirely random when they attempt to surf the carpet.

My risk assessment is as follows. I've covered 95% of the entire area with protection. The law of averages provides me with some comfort that my actual risk is pretty low unless I begin to witness or observe multiple jumping attempts in a single day. So far, I've only observed one jump since I got the fish a few weeks back.

Com'mon guys.............have a little faith in the law of averages and risk assessment. Going from no cover to 95% HAS to lower my risk substantially. Anyway, it is what it is and time will tell. You may be assured I'll keep you posted on any enlightenment I receive the hard way! :cool:

Edit Note: The wrasse guards did it. No more livestock loss out the top of the tank despite a few "holidays" in the coverage

Let me put it this way then. I used to run tanks with full covers that had single 1" dia. cord holes and I lost many fish through that one slot. Just 1" round hole with cords going through it. I give them more credit then you I guess, but I hate loosing fish (live animals) so I take every precaution I can. I now 100% cover with a canopy and haven't lost a single one since (to jumping).

Thanks for sharing. Pretty ingenius fish, eh? I will share my experience, hopefully all good with retaining livestock. :cool: Tell ya what, I'll have a net cover directly on the top of the tank if I lose a single fish out my existing set up. "If" I do, I'll buy you a burger and a beer at Sneakers in S.C and hold an informal but respectful memorial service. :(

Edit Note: No more fish loss but I'd still like to do lunch!

screebo said:
Thanks, Joel. I'm real happy with progress. Now if I can just get through the rest of the start-up algae blooms.

I KWYM. I think we all go through this stage. My cycling seemed interminable as I waited to stock my set up for several months and bought several Zebra Stripe Trochus snails to help me between cleanings and stocking, but I'm not recommending you do that unless your corals are cemented down as they can knock over corals (but are not as clumsy as Turbos). Time will take care of it.

I may be wrong as I'm not as expert as the others here, but I think- while counter-intuitive as it may seem, that less water changes at first might help slow the diatoms. I read an article (can't find the link right quick) and found this WWM link http://www.wetwebmedia.com/diatomfaqs.htm that suggests cyano is a main competitor of diatoms and allowing the water to age - to paraphrase, makes it harder for diatoms to exist. Needless to say, in the beginning (Genesis) I was blowing cyano off my rocks and siphoning it off the sand with an air hose (1/4" ID from OSH works best), but now diatoms and cyano are no longer a real issue in my system and both are easily handled.

I can also testify (can I get a witness) that lowering my lighting (MHs especially) may have helped slowed diatoms blooms- could be coincidence, but since your set up is next to a brightly lit window like my tank is, I placed a cloth on the window facing tank side to keep the sunlight off my aquarium while I had my window shades raised during the hours when the sun was at tank level on the horizon.

While I love my Two Fishies Phosban Reactor, and it may help in controlling algae, Silica is important to remove, to a certain extent, (as sponges like and need some silica in the water-so I've read from Dr. Randy Holmes Farley. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/feature.htm) to keep diatoms in check. Feeding less food (hard to do) is going to be a big help too.

Again, I'm speaking from my own experience, and I don't have the credentials others in the Club may have. Some of my experiences could be coincidental, so if I missed the mark, I think there are folks out there that will chime in with there 4 cents/sense.

I hope some of this helps. ;)

Happy reefing,
R.K.

I was just whining. I'll live through it LOL

And yes, Ghesham, that's Sneakers Sports Bar with endless tall beers included. We can meet there prior to any "more" fish jumping out but then it's "Dutch Treat". :cool:

Nikki and I think it's the best place to eat within waking distance of my condo.

PPSS I'm totally serious about one more fish jumping and not bounce off my acrylic back boards and back into the tank. (love to see that) then the net will go up within 24 hours. I've been following the DIY net cover thread and I know where to get the supplies. I wish they made something more fine and tranparant than bird netting.......hmmm........

I'm voting for the acrylic backboards deflecting 99.999% of jump attempts.

Back