Emergency Category? Hero / Accomplishment Recognition?!

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Geneva, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

I just read about HiFidelity's emergency yesterday and was so impressed with Devon's quickness and willingness to drop everything and help - what a wonderful representative for our club! I noticed that Fidel posted his appeal for help under category "Other Reef Talk" and wondered if we can think about adding an Emergency category so folks can see right away that a member needs help (physically or advice)? Folks that want to can "watch" the thread, receive an email to check the forum, and see if they can help instead of reading about it the next day!

I think another category we might consider is Praise For.... or something like that where we can praise someone for a kindness or accomplishment. Devon is never going to brag about this but we can! It can also be a place to post links to member's tanks that have starred in reef publications or any other type of accomplishment. Folks sitting on the fence about joining our club couldn't resist after reading this, yes?!

I know this would be extra work for the webmaster but hope these suggestions can be considered or improved upon. I'm really proud to be a small part of this club. Thanks.

denzil, FeliciaLynn, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  2. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

I would also like to recommend a list of "emergency contact" phone numbers, I know not everyone is going to want to leave their key under the door mat for other BAR members (I did w/ Devon) but having a list accessible only to supporting members would be golden to a person who is in a pinch like I was considering I was out of town and could only plea for help online or call someone already in my phone book, this way when and if this happens no matter where you are you can access the list and call your own most trusted choice out of the list. I would be more than happy to put my info on a list, I've also recommended in the past that we have 2 or 3 members keep track of a list of emergency equipment. What if I didn't have a spare tank? Devon wouldn't have been able to do much more than put all my LR, fish & coral into buckets...

Geneva likes this.
  3. Devon

Devon Guest

I would like to get to know the other members that live within 10-15 mins from me like @HiFidelity does.

Geneva and Spoon like this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Guest

To add to @HiFidelity's great idea, I think the only people who should be allowed to have this list are people who's numbers are on the list themselves.

This would be a great club resource. :thumbup:

5. bluprntguy

bluprntguy Webmaster

I think this is a great idea.

I'd suggest that the "Emergency" section should be located under the "Aquarium Discussion" category on the forums and the "Recognition/Hero" section can probably go under "Community Discussion".

This should be a simple enough change to make to the forums. If everyone could respond with suggestions on the names that should be given to each of these new sections and where they think the best place is for them to be located, I can coordinate it with Denzil and make the changes to the forum.

Geneva likes this.
  6. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

I think this is an awesome idea! Thanks again Geneva for throwing your suggestions out there! This is how we make the club better. I think Geneva deserves a spot in that recognition section for being super helpful, having great ideas, and being an awesome fish food mess cleaner! :)

We've got that list of emergency equipment being worked on that could also go into that forum.

Geneva likes this.
  7. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

I'm in Castro Valley - close to you, right?!

8. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

Geneva
    I'm in castro valley

Geneva likes this.
  9. Devon

Devon Guest

Yes very close.

10. Devon

Devon Guest

@dswong01 I guess real close to you as well.

11. denzil

denzil Webmaster

A "Praise For..." subforum can easily be accomplished, no sweat involved there. I would suggest opening a poll to vote on a name and then we can make it happen. Also, for those who want to opt-in, you can select the "Watch Forum" link to do so.

As for the emergency contact list, I think it should be invite only and should only have folks who are willing to participate. It's a privacy concern if it's an openly accessible document so it should ideally be invite/opt-in only. :)

12. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

denzil - can we do as bluprntguy Philip suggested above and at least get the Emergency section started and easily identifiable so the member-in-need knows where to go to send a message for help? The Emergency Equipment list could also be maintained in that section as Felicia suggested...

We can then work on the Emergency Contact list separately for only those interested in participating to work out the details such as rules, privacy concerns, access, etc., yes / no?!

13. denzil

denzil Webmaster

You guys are more than welcome to get the doc started and invite people in. I don't think we need to create another sub-forum... it'll just dilute our site as there are many sub-forums that aren't even being utilized. As for the Emergency section, anyone can create a thread that we can sticky at a later point with the link to the emergency contact list. Feel free to get started on that, don't need me to get this started. :)

14. neuro

neuro Webmaster

Sorry I'm super late to this conversation:

What I can try to do, is create a database-like post, restricted to those who are participating. It would list those who are participating and whatever address or info is needed (distance? abilities?). A google map can be embedded in the thread for participants.

This would be a great test bed before I try to fix dbtc. The scope of this would be much easier to implement since it's a single thread. However, I'm not sure if this is any better than a google doc or something.

I'm open to suggestions.

Geneva likes this.
  15. bluprntguy

bluprntguy Webmaster

It will need a form post as well since that would be the only way to get personal information back and forth without posting it openly on the web.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  16. bluprntguy

bluprntguy Webmaster

I created the new member category under "community discussion" for accolades/praise/recognition. I also posted a new poll so everyone can vote on the name of the category. My creativity for the name was limited to a thesaurus search, so if you have any suggestions, get creative and add them in the comments of the poll here: http://www.bareefers.org/forum/index.php?forums/kudos.81/

neuro and Geneva like this.
  17. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Sure, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty. :p Otherwise, the fallback is just using Google Drive (form/spreadsheet) with embedded Google Maps hyperlinks.

18. neuro

neuro Webmaster

I did some tests yesterday, and I can already tell it's going to be the same amount of work for both.

In fact, it might be more worth it for me to spend time working on the DBTC than this, since the same amount of work will produce larger benefits.. depending on how you look at it.

19. bluprntguy

bluprntguy Webmaster

I can work on the emergency contact list and let you handle the DBTC.

denzil and neuro like this.