Emergency, flooding, need parts asap.

Discussion in 'DIY' started by anathema, May 13, 2015.

1. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

Oh, and if anyone wants green calaustrea frags, I managed to not break it right up until the end of the repair... Sigh.

Guess it'll be a few more years before the tank looks grown in.

2. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Man I just saw your post, I should have two Hayward bulk-heads, heavy duty; little late?. LMK if you need any more help.

bondolo likes this.
  3. anathema

Hey Mario! Glad to see you on here. How are ya?

I was planning to post tonight that I got it back together and it's all running. Yesterday I just left the sea squirt disconnected, with the valves all closed.

Did I mention I'm on a roll? Cuz I am!

[​IMG]

Yeah. I went with the recommendation of the person at the counter and used a "non irrigation" fitting. I realized as I was putting it together that they aren't that strong, but I wanted to get it back together instead of run to the store yet again.

So now I have the threads snapped off in my new bulkhead and I get to hunt for an easy out or some bladed tool and hope I can get it out without damaging the bulkhead. Ouch.

My lesson of the day is don't use non irrigation fittings, whatever they are intended for. Kind of annoyed that the salesperson would recommend that to a person buying schedule 80 bulkheads because he broke one, but it's still on me.

Sigh. Time to go buy a beer. Give me a call sometime, Mario, I'll buy you one too.

4. anathema

Heck, any of you hit me up I'll buy any of you a beer.

Especially you, Ender, for this bit of advice:

"I think down the road once you stabilize things, you should switch to another tank.

Having a bulkhead underneath a sandbed outside of an overflow box is a disaster waiting to happen. There are certain areas you can skimp money on but this type is not one of them."

For the last few days I've been wishing that I'd simply siliconed some glass plates over these factory overflow holes and bought another MP40. Closed loops are a pain in the a...

Or I'm not good at them, possibly. ;)

5. euod

euod Supporting Member

Shoot, I'll buy you 2 beers. You need it!

I've been trying to buy Mario a beer forever but always catching him busy digging in something: garage, basement, street, or something :)

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Aww damn Gusty, sorry I wasn't online at the tail end of this week (or at least this site) I had a couple bulkheads, of course I need to find the SOBs (most of which I think came from the tank you gave me though)

As to the closed loop, I was very tempted to use it when setting up, but I just had a vision of that entire tank needing to be drained to fix a problem, and before I knew it, I welded some acrylic right over the holes.

dswong01 likes this.
  7. anathema

You've got that monster tank set up? I'd love to check it out sometime.

8. sfsuphysics

Ha, yeah, after sitting dry in my garage... well probably close to as long as it sat dry in your shed I finally got it up. It's no where close to show quality though, dealing with random issues here and there, and after seeing my electric bill the past 6 months or so I'm almost regretting putting it up :)

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Are you mike fish on reef builders?

10. sfsuphysics

Yeah why?

11. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I see you comments from time to time. Always sound like you. Wasn't sure tho

12. sfsuphysics

Yeah, decided to branch out with my naming convention for the simple fact that I haven't been at SFSU in well over a decade, and to be honest it's not really the type of school you pump your chest out proudly as being a graduate of :)

Plus it allows me to be a little more opinionated that I normally am without things coming back to "me proper"

13. anathema

Yeah imagining my electricity bills was a big part of why I gave that tank away. I was just looking at my pair of 400W magnetic ballasts and daydreaming about the time I used to live on Treasure Island.

Ah, free electricity...

14. sfsuphysics

Yeah having solar panels isn't exactly helping me that much. Oh well schools over this week, so I'll find some time to throw up some insulation panels around the stand and hopefully that will reduce the electrical required to keep it warm.

15. denzil

denzil Webmaster

If you really want to, we can change your username. :)

16. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

What temp you running at mike?

17. sfsuphysics

I think my temp is in the 75-76 range, if my old ass AC3 controller with a LCD display I can hardly see is accurate

18. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Me too. 76. Anything higher is just a huge waste of energy in our neck of the woods

19. anathema

If only there was a type of lighting that emitted a bunch of heat as well...

20. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

And didn't use so much power...