Kessil

EMERGENCY HELP PLEASE

Roc

I came home tonight and it looks like my tank has been leaking water all day, the wood on the stand is damaged, and I can tell there is water underneath the tank. I checked the back and sides and found no cracks, or obvious signs that water has been running down the walls. The only thing I can think of is the seem at the bottom......... I'm not sure what my options are and I am not thinking to clearly, anyone got seggustions.

It's a 120 Tru-vu tank less then a year old fully stocked.

Borrow a tank or large container and save as much water as possible, transfer corals and empty the 120? I have a 50-55 ga corner pentagon that's available to you. I might be coming your way tomorrow.

Dry around the bottom of the tank as best as you can, then run a towel dam around the perimeter keep checking to see where moisture is gathering.

I hop it is something simple man, tank leaks suck.

Any moisture/water on the sides of the tank? That could rule out the bottom seam. Check pumps and any sort of bulkheads before you do anything terribly rash though. Can't imagine a seam popping on the bottom of an acrylic tank unless it had an existing crack that had to be fixed. Could be a bulkhead for the overflow as well, so after you get all electrical around the area (sockets, etc) unplugged from the main wall check there from under the tank.

Still can't find the problem move as much livestock as you can to temporary quarters, have a sump? refugium? that's a start, where do you mix saltwater for water changes? try there too. Try to save as much water as possible, don't forget heaters and water movement as well Once the tank is drained try to find where the leak is and if it's a leaky bulkhead (my first thought) then fix it.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6337.msg80822#msg80822 date=1234488722]
Dry around the bottom of the tank as best as you can, then run a towel dam around the perimeter keep checking to see where moisture is gathering.

I hop it is something simple man, tank leaks suck.
[/quote]

I have been trying to dry it but it seems like the water is mostly centered on one side, and the water is under the tank as well.

I will try that now and see what I can find out.[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6337.msg80823#msg80823 date=1234488761]
Any moisture/water on the sides of the tank? That could rule out the bottom seam. Check pumps and any sort of bulkheads before you do anything terribly rash though. Can't imagine a seam popping on the bottom of an acrylic tank unless it had an existing crack that had to be fixed. Could be a bulkhead for the overflow as well, so after you get all electrical around the area (sockets, etc) unplugged from the main wall check there from under the tank.

Still can't find the problem move as much livestock as you can to temporary quarters, have a sump? refugium? that's a start, where do you mix saltwater for water changes? try there too. Try to save as much water as possible, don't forget heaters and water movement as well Once the tank is drained try to find where the leak is and if it's a leaky bulkhead (my first thought) then fix it.
[/quote]

No water on the sides, front or back. I checked the bulkheads and the area under them is dry, I think it's gotta be a seem.

I think I will need to go buy some containers, I have a 55 gal sump but it's fairly cowarded with all the equipment.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6337.msg80825#msg80825 date=1234488904]
Actually Mike acrylic tanks blow out bottoms all the time, I sincerely hope it's not the case though.
[/quote]
Oh? Is this due to faulty craftmanship? or is it a known problem and acrylic tank makers just don't care ?

Well Roc when you empty it, try to rest it on some wood blocks and put a little water in the bottom (an inch or so) just to see where the problem is.

If you find a leaky seam my course of action would be to get some weldon 16, and glue a piece of acrylic right into the corner where the leak is, this will hopefully plug the seam and give some additional stability to the bottom... then fill it back up and use it while you look for a replacement tank.

As to the 55g sump, remove the equipment, you don't need a skimmer, heater and water flow is your main concern... just feed very sparingly.

Jeramy let me know if this is what seems like a seem, I wipe and wipe and wipe and it just seems to have more water then I can dry away.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6337.msg80829#msg80829 date=1234489482]
Well Roc when you empty it, try to rest it on some wood blocks and put a little water in the bottom (an inch or so) just to see where the problem is.

If you find a leaky seam my course of action would be to get some weldon 16, and glue a piece of acrylic right into the corner where the leak is, this will hopefully plug the seam and give some additional stability to the bottom... then fill it back up and use it while you look for a replacement tank.

As to the 55g sump, remove the equipment, you don't need a skimmer, heater and water flow is your main concern... just feed very sparingly.
[/quote]

So should I remove the baffles from the sump, so that tangs can swim.

I have some questions about my corals.

What is the minimum I can do for them, I was thinking about getting a 4 foot container that I could put the light over while they are in there.

[quote author=Roc link=topic=6337.msg80830#msg80830 date=1234489630]
Jeramy let me know if this is what seems like a seem, I wipe and wipe and wipe and it just seems to have more water then I can dry away.
[/quote]

OK, if you can narrow down where it is leaking, look at the seam, if it is not transparent and has a cloudy look to it in a section most likely that is where the leak is. IIRC your tank has bent corners, so if it's not leaking out the back sides then it's your bottom seam most likely. The difficult part is if it is on the back of your tank and you can't see it then you SOL AFA pinpointing the spot.

Your tank is still under warranty, so getting a replacement shouldn't be a problem and in the very few cases that I've had with tank defects the manufacturer's insurance covers the water damage too. But WTF is that right now when you're faced with a major headache.

I am freaking out a little bit, but here is my plan

remove return pump/skimmer from sump-fuge
remove baffles from sump
move corals and large portion of LR to container that I can put light over, add heater.
Put 2 powerheads in container and 2 in sump for flow
Drain water into container, moveing LR as I go. move frags to temp frag rack in same container
put light over coral tank and finish draining tank.

How does that sound

Roc I have a 150g or 300g rubbermaid stock tank you are more than welcome to borrow. PM or email me and we can sync up. Not sure where you are located but I am over in San Ramon.

-Chris

Thanks chicken, but I'm in Richmond and I think I'm gonna just run over to target and get one big enough

Jeramy, I wasn't gonna put any corals in the sump, as I can't use my light over it (space issues)

yeah ditto on the baffles, sure your tang will be pissed off/spooked to be confined, but a couple hiding places and all is good. And don't worry about lighting your corals, if it's a few days, no biggy, they can go without much light.

And oh yeah, if your tank is still under warranty don't attempt to repair it like I suggested :D

Good luck. I emailed you my cell # incase things get worse. I also have atleast 600g of fresh made warm salt water ready in my water change tank if you need water.

[quote author=Roc link=topic=6337.msg80840#msg80840 date=1234490987]

Jeramy, I wasn't gonna put any corals in the sump, as I can't use my light over it (space issues)
[/quote]

OK I just reread your post, still sounds like a plan, however, I would still not remove the baffles.

Sorry to hear that man. This definitely sucks. I have an empty 100g glass tank in my garage you could use but it looks like you got it covered with your sump and containers you are getting.

I hope everything will work out. Good luck!

Back