Jestersix

Equipment and lighting thoughts?

nash

I have been out for a bit so stilling catching up on what’s new.
I down sized to a 67g. Plan to do mix mostly SPS.
Wonder if I should still run ( left over from my 100G) ?
Midwest Sulfur DeNitrifier
CA reactor
I pick up a Kessil 150W ocean blue a few weeks ago but not too impress with it. Seem very blue? Like actinic? Maybe I should have gone with a 10K? Had 250w metal halides before.
Just add 90 1 w 10-12K led and looks better and thinking of another Kessil to balance it out. I may rig so I can still run a MH on some days but my wife would hate that. Tank is now in the dining room.
Thought?

Hey Nash,
I say if you got the equipment use it. Have a Ca reactor running on my 75 sps reef and it makes life way easier especially once the take gets fully stocked. DeNitrifier may be a bit over kill unless you plan on having a ton of fish in there and feed them a bunch. Monthly water changes should take care of your nitrates once your tank matures granted you have plenty of live rock and a decent sand bed.
Haven't used the Kessil LED light before so cant tell you much about that. Have been using ecoexotic 19w LED fixtures though, and have been liking them quite a bit. They make quite a few different colors including a color changing fixture that does about 20 different colors and has a remote control. They are priced pretty well to and may be just what you need for some additional supplementation. Keep in mind that even though it may not look that bright the LEDs have a high par output and 1w of LED is = to 3-4w of halide. You have a ton of light on there so you might want see how your corals fair before adding more light.

Kessil is worlds apart than the 19w Ecoxotics....

Now that your in their backyard, I suggest checking out some of their units :)

Kessil Blue is just that, VERY blue. Even the 10K is a little more blue than I'd like.

ReefNout said:
Hey Nash,
I say if you got the equipment use it. Have a Ca reactor running on my 75 sps reef and it makes life way easier especially once the take gets fully stocked. DeNitrifier may be a bit over kill unless you plan on having a ton of fish in there and feed them a bunch. Monthly water changes should take care of your nitrates once your tank matures granted you have plenty of live rock and a decent sand bed.
Haven't used the Kessil LED light before so cant tell you much about that. Have been using ecoexotic 19w LED fixtures though, and have been liking them quite a bit. They make quite a few different colors including a color changing fixture that does about 20 different colors and has a remote control. They are priced pretty well to and may be just what you need for some additional supplementation. Keep in mind that even though it may not look that bright the LEDs have a high par output and 1w of LED is = to 3-4w of halide. You have a ton of light on there so you might want see how your corals fair before adding more light.

I didn't know about the high par of LEDs. Guess I’ll clean up the reactor and put in back in service. Lots of live rock in tank and sump but I decided to go with only a few inches of sand bed.
Thanks

Back