Equipment for new tank

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by newhobby, Jan 9, 2011.

1. newhobby

newhobby Guest

Hi guys,

I decided to go with a new tank and went to Robert's to get me one.
    Thanks for the offers on what you had anyway.
    I got me one of those display 57g that he had with a custom cabinet and canopy for halide.
    So, I'm looking for equipment now.
    I'm clueless on what to get.
    I need a skimmer and halide stuff.
    Do you have anything to recommend or sell to me?

Thank you,
    Roberto.

2. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Do you have rimless, center-brace?
    A nice little skimmer for it would be an RS80 (Euro-reef/Reef Dynamics)
    Canopy, open top?

3. newhobby

newhobby Guest

Hey Mario,

The tank is 36" wide. It's the Oceanic Illuminata if I'm not mistaken.
    It's a rimless, but I'm getting a canopy to put halides.
    Do you think a single 250W Halide would be enough or I need 2 sets?
    Or maybe a 250 halide and add those LEDs I have siting in the closet?

4. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Guest

I dont think 1 MH will give you enough spread to cover the entire tank so I recomend 2.
    I have a Euro Reef RS80 with Sedra 3500 pump sitting in my garage I can sell you if you want it.

5. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

^ Have the RS80 on one of my tanks and it's definitely a good skimmer for the price :)

6. bmhair03

bmhair03 Guest

Hey Roberto,
    Do you sleep ? :) With all the RA stuff you do ,and now a new tank .
    Your going to need a vacation !! At least you'll be able to monitor it from anywhere you go.
    Happy Reefing!
    Brian

7. tuberider

tuberider Guest

With the right reflector a single halide will work, it just needs to be a little higher up than normal (~14" at the bulb) and use a high PAR bulb. I ran a single on my old 3' tank for years and grew the crap out of corals.

8. newhobby

newhobby Guest

Should I use 2x150 or 2x250?

9. tuberider

tuberider Guest

More light is better, so 2X250w is what I'd do, but I got by for a while with 1X175w (I'm not a big fan of DE bulbs, but that a whole different can of worms).

10. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I have a SWC 180 for my 100 gallon and it's amazing. I think they have a smaller cone (120?) that's a great price.

I'm running 2x250watt DE Bulbs on my 4' long tank. I think you could get away with 1 but like tuberider said, "more light is better."

11. newhobby

newhobby Guest

Is the single ended = mogul socket or is there a different type?

12. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

SE = mogul

13. newhobby

newhobby Guest

I think I'll start with just one 250W MH centered in the tank and add the LEDs I have to the sides.
    I hate to give up completely on the LEDs when so many people are moving towards it.
    Then, I'll just place LPS off the center of the tank.
    If I'm not happy, I'll redo it later.
    So, I'm looking for a 250W reflector and ballast.
    Why is DE bad?

14. tuberider

tuberider Guest

They're not "bad", IMO there's a few design flaws that's all. I have several tanks running with DE fixtures that work just fine.

A Lumenarc mini type reflector would work just fine, I had Acros growing on the sides of my old tank.

[​IMG]

15. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Jeremy, is it the mounting issues you dislike about the DE? That is my worst issue with them for the most part.

16. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

I have the same tank and use 1 150W SE MH bulb, I have to be VERY careful not to place stuff in the shady areas. I really need to break down and buy a fancy fixture for it...

I vote 2 bulbs if you can swing it, or a single bulb with some kind of supplementation that is 36" wide.

17. tuberider

tuberider Guest

That's part of it yeah, perhaps if someone made a position oriented DE bulb then it might be worth breaking tabs off of 250s like crazy.

18. ryanjiang

ryanjiang Guest

Jeremy that is impressive coverage for 250w, do you think DE provide on par coverage if reflector is comparable to SE?
    I hate plug of DE as well everytime I feel I have broken the lamp.
    Other than that what else? No 400w version?

19. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

There are 400W versions of DE I may have one DE400W somewhere.
    How about two 175W SE under Lumenarc minis?
    You can get a Lumatek ballast, Select-a-watt; 150W 175W 250W. Try a 175W bulb and if you don't feel it right, just dial the ballast to 250W with the proper bulb of course.
    This is one of those times I wish someone made a super slow moving "Light Mover"
    I'll keep dreaming...

20. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

There are very slow moving light movers Mario. You can slow the down even further with mods or timers.