Kessil

Equipment Review: Blue LED Flashlight for Coral Fluorescence

Alldaymall Wf-502B Cree Blue LED Flashlight

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YQDEFK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_9894.jpg

So I just wanted a flashlight that would light up frags/corals for viewing at frag swaps. I took my chances with this Amazon purchase.

In short, the light works great for lighting up corals. I haven't used it for a full day of frag swapping but I'm liking the results so far.

It requires using rechargeable 18650 batteries.

IMG_9897.jpg

Pros
  1. Decent lighting ability even with indoor lighting.
  2. Will show coral fluorescence.
  3. Small and lightweight.
  4. Cost me 12$ (not including battery cost)
Cons
  1. None yet. I've only had the light for about 2 weeks now. (will update if issues found)
Here are some pictures of the fluorescence. These pictures were taken in with no lights on.

IMG_9895.jpg

IMG_9896.jpg

The pictures don't do the light justice, the corals fluoresce even more in person.

Last edited:
Hey what is the shelf life on the 18650s once charged. I've been thinking I should go that route for my casual use flashlights.

I was really attracted to those other lights too. Corals will fluoresce under blue the best. I think some lights were UV based and would cause scorpians to light up and make urine and other bodily fluids to glow, but i just wanted corals to be colorful :p

I dont know how long the shelf life for these batteries are but we will see.

:) yeah I mean there are tons of frag swaps not just in the Bay Area. Our Sister Clubs, Northern Valley Reefers and Central Valley Reefers also hold clubs. The Chico Reef Club Regional Frag Swap is on March 28th. I'd go but a little too far for me.

I think I'll be going to the MARS frag swap in Sacramento sometime in April.

Date: Saturday, April 11th

Location: International Association of Machinists & Aerospace Workers Hall, 2749 Sunrise Blvd, Rancho Cordova CA (same great facility that we used last fall)

Check-in: 11am

Swap: 12:30pm

Back