Jestersix

Euphyllia's 34 Gallon Red Sea Max

Ok. I'll take some photos. I have a phosphate absorber in the sump inlet right now. I turn the light on at 3:00PM and off at 8:00PM. It has 2, 55Watt, T5 Power Compact fluorescents in it for the lights. It also has about 4" of live sand and 20 pounds of live rock (which I successfully built two arches with). Also, A LOT of water evaporates out of it. I loose about 3 gallons or more of water every week. Is this because of the lighting or is it because of a larger surface area for water to evaporate out of?

Slow down a bit. I would wait a few more weeks/months before putting the shrimp in. They are not as hardy as hermits. Hermits deal with changes in their natural environment, cleaner shrimp do not and need more stability. You have had your tank for only 2 weeks since Christmas (unless you got it before?). When I cycled my FW tank using the chemical method, it took 2 weeks. Using a more natural cycling takes longer. How do you cycle your tank? What steps are involved in it? Do you test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates daily? You watch for a spike, then watch the numbers drop (except nitrates should go up), don't you?

Also, keeping a tank journal is helpful. You can keep track of the things you did which were right, and also learn from your mistakes if something went wrong. A smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns not only from his mistakes, but from the mistakes of others; then implements what is learned. :D

Your water evaporation is due to both surface area and lights. My little 12 gal. requires 1/4 to 1/2 gal top off water every day. Do you put fresh water in your tank daily? It will decrease the stress on the inhabitants if you do it daily instead of weekly.

Also something to think about for future stocking. Your tank is 34 gal.and your lights are 110 watts T-5 PCs. This is the lower-med. lighting range for corals. Make sure you choose corals appropriately. If someone offers you a coral which can not be supported by these lights, don't take it. This will show responsibility on your part. :) Once I was offered some beautiful rose anemone, but declined because I knew my set up would not handle its' growth, and that it would sting my other corals.

Good luck Euphyllia. It seems like you are trying to be much more responsible and patient with this tank. :D

[quote author=Roc link=topic=5720.msg73481#msg73481 date=1231468427]
I thought month 1 was cycle month 2 was cycle and inverts, this is like day 10
[/quote]

Depends on the size of the tank, I'm still waiting for a 300+ gallon reef tank to fully cycle and it's been a few months, shoot ask Rich if the Steinhart tank is cycled yet, it all depends. That said, I know where you're coming from though :D

But really, is it COMPLETELY necessary to have something as small as a 34gallon aquarium cycle for 2months before you put hermit crabs in?
I think that is a bit too long.

And Lyn, do you mean my aquarium won't be suitable to house a rose anemone or are you just using that as a random example?

And this is kinda off topic, but I have about five frags I'm brining to the frag swap. Does it matter how small they are? I fragged some different thing that were given to me. I tried fragging xenia, colt coral, and anthelia polyps, but the glue wouldn't hold them down and the floated away... (BTW, this is in my 14gal not my 34.)
The snails in the 34 are doing good at keeping algae and waste down and the hermits really helped on the hair algae that appeared while cycling (not the hair algae in the 14. I mean the hair algae in the 34) and they are doing fine. I haven't had anything die yet so I guess that is good. Also, is it bad to add too much sand? I have about 4" of sand in there because I thought I might get a Jaw fish.

But really, is it COMPLETELY necessary to have something as small as a 34gallon aquarium cycle for 2months before you put hermit crabs in?
I think that is a bit too long.

>> The only real way to tell if your aquarium is cycled is by doing daily water testing. Testing the water when there is nothing but water in it, does not mean it is cycled. There must be an ammonia source in the tank (something alive that is eating and producing waste, or preferably, live rock or live sand with critters that will do the same. Decaying matter also works, and I have read of people adding fish food or cut up shrimp to their tanks to kick start the cycling process. What they are trying to do is build up ammonia and nitrite levels to feed the Nitrifying bacteria in their tanks. These are the good bacteria that break down harmful nitrites and turn them into less harmful nitrates. When there is a balance between the amount of ammonia and nitrites in a tank, in relation to the amount of beneficial bacteria, then one can call a tank cycled. Aside from directly testing the water, other signs to look for are diatom growth, and other algae growth. Algae uses nitrates as a food source. However, direct testing is the only sure way to know if your ammonia and nitrite levels are at ZERO. Corals are also sensitive to nitrate levels, so these must be kept in check also. Many people grow macro-algae to help with its removal from the water, or they use some sort of chemical removal system.

The reason so many people have suggested that you go slowly when stocking your tank is because, as you add new life to it, the balance between ammonia/nitrite and the beneficial nitrite eating bacteria is thrown off. It takes time for the beneficial bacteria to build up higher populations to take care of the increased ammonia/nitrite levels. If you throw in a bunch of animals and feed them, or they eat algae and then start producing waste, the ammonia/nitrite levels will become so high as to kill the inhabitants of the tank because there is not enough bacteria to take care of all that waste. If you have ever smelled a bottle of ammonia, you will understand why it is so toxic to sea life. (It is actually toxic to almost all life- I am allergic to ammonia and can not use any cleaners which contain it.)

And Lyn, do you mean my aquarium won't be suitable to house a rose anemone or are you just using that as a random example?

>> As far as I understand, anemones in general require high lighting conditions. The only tank I have with a Metal Halide is too small for an anemone. Anemones can grow quite large, roam around the tank if they don't like one spot, and can sting and kill other corals as well as eat your fish and shrimp. I have never had the desire to keep one, although I believe them to be interesting and quite beautiful. Here is a more informative site: http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

And this is kinda off topic, but I have about five frags I'm brining to the frag swap. Does it matter how small they are? I fragged some different thing that were given to me. I tried fragging xenia, colt coral, and anthelia polyps, but the glue wouldn't hold them down and the floated away... (BTW, this is in my 14gal not my 34.)
The snails in the 34 are doing good at keeping algae and waste down and the hermits really helped on the hair algae that appeared while cycling (not the hair algae in the 14. I mean the hair algae in the 34) and they are doing fine. I haven't had anything die yet so I guess that is good. Also, is it bad to add too much sand? I have about 4" of sand in there because I thought I might get a Jaw fish.

>> You should try to take frags that will stick to a plug or rubble, and be big enough so it doesn't float away or get lost. You don't want to give something to someone that will die or get lost, just as you would not want to receive a coral from someone which would die or get lost in your tank. Try to make sure the frag is growing before you give it away. Fragging now in preparation for the Feb swap is a very good idea.

Try to understand what you are fragging and their growth patterns. You might have to cut the entire base of what the coral is attached to. In the case of the anthelia (I assume it is the one I gave you), use your fragging tools and cut the shell with the coral attached. Normally I let the creeping corals attach on their own to other rubble by putting rocks or shells next to it. As they grow, they will move on to the neighboring rock, plug, or shell. This, of course, takes time and patience. Once they are attached and growing well on the new perch, you can separate them with a blade of some sort. Many creeping type polyps can be propagated this way, with very little stress to the coral.

Another way is to gently pull a loose pad of the coral up and cut away at it, then attach it to another surface with Icegel or something similar. However, corals produce mucus, and sometimes they may over produce if they do not like being stuck to something, like Icegel. if you run into problems fragging and mounting a particular coral, go ahead and post a question to the group. There are many experienced people in BAR who would be willing to give you advice on how they have successfully done it.

>> The depth of the sand is up to you. It is what you like aesthetically speaking. When you put in 4+ inches of sand, the sand can act as a place for nitrifying bacteria to grow. Anything less than this, and I have read that it is ineffective as a denitrifying source. In fact, it becomes a place for waste to collect. Many people who want the look of sand, but don't want four inches of it, keep one inch or less in their tanks. There are fish that require a deep sand bed like the jawfish and some wrasses. Most people who keep smaller tanks do not have deep sandbeds though because it takes up so much of the usable space.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the info Lyn! :) I appreciate everybody helping. I really want to stay in the hobby for a VERY long time and I'm just trying to learn better ways to keep my aquarium up and running. Thanks again! :)

ALGAE! IT'S ALL OVER THE GLASS! When I leave at 7:20 in the morning, It is crystal clear and everything is in perfect view... Then when I get back at 3:00 (lights have been from 7:00-3:00) the glass is covered in yucky brow thin, silty algae. This happens almost ever day! When I get home at 3:00, I scrape all the algae with my handy-dandy All Glass Aquarium scraper and turn off the lights. Then it happens again the next morning. The Phosphate level is 0 and I have a filter bag PACKED HEAVILY with that stuff right inside the filter intake. I want to know how to stop this. I'm thinking of buying one of those Mag-Float algae cleaner things so I won't have to move my hand around objects and disturb the tank, so if anybody has a spare that they are willing to sell, PM me... Anyways, HOW DO I GET THIS CRAP OFF THE GLASS!? ??? :eek: ??? :eek: ??? :eek: ???

It is not a cleaning issue, but a water quality one I think.

When tanks are going through the cycling process, diatom (brown) algae is the first sign that your tank is moving along in that process. If your tank is already cycled, then check your levels again. Did you check Nitrates? Algae use this for food.

Also, tanks can go through further cycles as you add more sealife.

Well, first some hair algae popped up (one-two weeks into when I'd set it up). I corrected that with the snails. Then a week later I added my cleaner shrimp and he is doing very well. The brow window algae popped up about the time I got him. So do you guys think this will eventually go away? If so, will it be like one month, or like 5 months?

If it is a cycling issue, it can be 1-2 months from when the tank started up. What are your nitrates at?

Also, you should start putting up photos of your tank so that you can document its progress :)

It is slow at letting me post pics, so I'll post em' one by one. I'm planning on building up the rock structure in the back of the tank and then filling the tank with GBTAs and RBTAs and let them split and sell them to BAR member and the LFS for reasonable prices... But that will take place in about a year, so I'll let you guys know when I fill it up and start selling back. Also, I've been doping some more research on BTAs, and will 2 x 55w T5 Power Compact Fluorescents be able to keep a BTA?

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5720.msg79048#msg79048 date=1233970084]
Well, first some hair algae popped up (one-two weeks into when I'd set it up). I corrected that with the snails. Then a week later I added my cleaner shrimp and he is doing very well. The brow window algae popped up about the time I got him. So do you guys think this will eventually go away? If so, will it be like one month, or like 5 months?
[/quote]

Using snails to "correct the hair algae problem" is not really correcting the problem. You still have conditions for algae growth, just that the snails are eating the evidence. ;) (BTW, most people have some algae, even when everything is cycled and their water parameters are good.)

It really sound to me like this tanks is still in the beginning stages of cycling. Please make sure you do not add corals to it yet. I am worried that the levels might be a little unpredictable for your cleaner shrimp too. They are sensitive, even more so than certain fish. You won't see signs that it is ailing until you find it dead. You might want to move it to your other more stable tank. Remember to acclimate it if you do.

There are no hard and fast rules as to how long it will take for a tank to cycle and for the diatoms to go away. You could cut down on the amount of light if all you have in there are snails and the shrimp. They don't need lots of light, and it would alleviate the problem a little if there is less light. Many people cycle tanks with very little light. Above all, remember to be patient and check water quality. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are the ones to test while cycling.

Thanks for the advice! :)
I should have been more clear. I meant that when I got the hair algae, I got snails at the same time. The snails ate the hair algae anyways...

nice :) Keep in mind that whenever you do large changes (especially adding new rock), your tank will go through a little cycle again. Keep an eye on ammonia/nitrite/nitrate for the next two weeks.

and post a pic :) I want to see the new rockwork!

I added more phosphate remover and cleaned the filters yesterday. Today I'm topping off the water with RO and I'm going to run the skimmer for a VERY long time.

Also, I found this site VERY helpful as I'm researching how to take care of rose anemones (planning on getting some). I though somebody might find it also, very helpful and a good source to learn more about roses. It is a wonderful site!

Back