High Tide Aquatics

Euphyllia's BioCube 14

I'm planning on upgrading the lights to 72w and I have some questions...

1. Do Actinics count in wattage?
2. Should I get 2x 36w 50/50 or 1x 36w 50/50 and a 36w 10,000K?
3. If I decided to get 1x 36w 50/50 & 1x 36w 10,000k, would it look yellow or would the 18w's of Actinic make it look white?

It's been over 18 months since I've posted in this thread! :O
Here's pictures of my clownfish that have been living in the tank for over a year. The male is .75" and the female is 1.25". I originally thought they were SI percs, but after talking to somebody on Nano-Reef.com, I learned that these clownfish's parents are owned by SA. Apparently Matt Carberry from SA purchased all of the pairs that Christos Clowns had, one of which was an Onyx pair that came from the founder of C-Quest. Isn't it amazing how you can trace your clownfish's family history in a conversation on an online forum in less than 20 minutes? :D

Here's picture of them...

Male
90ykqg.jpg

Female

20t2l8h.jpg

They would be C-Quest Christos Clowns SA Onyx Percula Clownfish, but sadly they don't get that impressive name since you're only supposed to say the name of the breeder. They're just SA Onyx clowns I guess. :(

Well now the people on RC have ID'd my clowns as some Ocellaris morph. They pointed out that percs have bright orange irises and mine have darker irises, which is what had led me to believe that mine are Ocellaris. It bothers me so much how they look exactly like Onyx but their eyes say Ocellaris. I'll try and get a better ID on them in a year when they've grown more. They're still pretty either way. Here's a picture of the female...
20t3vwm.jpg

Some mushroom that was given to me...
x1isew.jpg

DBTC Fluffy Candycane...
15rm6bn.jpg

The only hermit crab in the tank...
2lllgkg.jpg

r0ck0 said:
You could take a picture of their dorsal spines and count them. Oces have 11 spines and percs have 10.

EDIT: I counted 11 on the second picture and it's more clear, so I'm going to agree with Ocellaris for now. I'll be able to get a 100% accurate count when they get bigger.

124hvg2.jpg

6opxqd.jpg

Now my clowns have been ID'd by somebody named Matt (possibly Matt Carberry from SA???) on RC and he said that they are selectively-bred clowns bred in East TN commonly marketed as "SA Fancy" Amphiprion Ocellaris. He also said that to his knowledge there was no Black Ocellaris in the line of breeding. I guess that explains the SA sticker on the tank I got them from. :D

Video shot yesterday of the clowns... SA Fancy Ocellaris Clownfish

They did some pre-spawning in February, which is the month my Black Ocellaris did their first pre-spawning. I'm hoping they'll breed within two months. My Black Ocellaris bred on the May 6th following the February in which they first pre-spawned. If they do breed I'll be attempting to raise the fry in this summer. These are my favorite clowns. I like them better than Picassos (not necessarily my Picassos because Matthew loves all his clowns equally :bigsmile:) because anyone can tell their clownfish and I get to enjoy all of the extra black coloration. :)

The video effects didn't render like I thought they would and I messed up the audio... So the video is pretty crappy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8B7ws-K0bs

EDIT: You can see part of the old-style film effects if you watch in HD, but it can be easily mistaken for crappy video quality. :tired:

Back