Euphyllia's BioCube 29 HQI

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Euphyllia, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

FTS: 8/4/11
    [​IMG]

Fish

- Two ORA Grade 'A' Picasso Percula Clownfish (Marino & Verde)

SPS

- Bali Green Slimer
    - Blue Acropora awi
    - Incredible Hulk Acropora
    - ORA Frogskin
    - ORA Plum Crazy
    - Palmer's Blue Mille
    - Tan slimer w/ green polyp tubes
    - Tri-Color Acropora tortousa (?)
    - Tyree Lime in the Sky Acropora

- Euphyllia's Bright Red Monti Cap
    - Euphyllia's Jersey Shore Monti
    - Green Montipora danae

- ORA Spongodes
    - Orange Montipora digitata

- Purple Montipora danae

- Euphyllia's Teaser Bird of Paradise
    - Green Polyp Orange Birdsnest
    - ORA Bird of Paradise (?)
    - ORA Green Birsdnest
    - ORA Hyacinth Birdsnest (?)
    - ORA Ponape Birdsnest
    - Purple Birdsnest
    - Silver Birdsnest

- Green Mystery Awesomepora
    - Green Psammacora
    - ORA Green Damicornis (?)

LPS

- Green w/ Yellow/Blue/Red Chalice
    - Hollywood Stunner Chalice
    - Blue/Red Acro

Zoas & Softies
    ]

- 3 polyps Magician knock-off colony
    - 50 polyp Red Hornet colony
    - 10 polyp Purple Hornet colony
    - 4 red ricordea-yuma
    - 3 polyp Rose Nebula colony

Inverts

- Peppermint Shrimp
    - Turbo Snail
    - Torchus Snail
    - Margarita Snail
    - Red Leg Hermits

Male Picasso
    [​IMG]

Female Picasso
    [​IMG]

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Good god Matthew, I do believe you have the bug!

That's 3 aquariums? :D

3. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I have more, but only three are currently in use. As you can probably tell I really like AIO tanks. :)

4. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

Nice Christmas score. Have fun setting it up.

5. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I just filled the tank up with 20 gallons of freshly mixed saltwater. I have a hard time believing that 30lbs of live sand and 20lbs of live rock take up 9 gallons. :|

6. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Haha... looks like a future aquarium shop owner :D

7. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

Sounds like ur enjoying the new tank already

8. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Sounds like good income. $)

Yes I am very much. :bigsmile:

Update: I set up the tank this morning and I'm letting everything settle. It's cleared up a bit, but I've been out all day and I just got home to a filter pad covered in white stuff. Calcium I guess? I have 30lbs of live sand in the tank so that may be the cause. Hopefully the water will clear by tonight and I can finish arranging my LR.

9. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

The tank was less cloudy this morning so I finished working on the rocks and it clouded back up. Why is this happening? When I set up my other tanks it didn't take this long to settle. Why is the water so cloudy? I guess I'll start doing water changes if it doesn't clear up later today.

10. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

what sand did you use??? did you by natural sea water??? premade salt??? when i set up my 120 i used fine sand and i used aquarium concept water and i was cloudy for almost 36 hours

11. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I don't know exactly what sand I used but it wasn't very fine. I got RO from All About Fish and mixed my own saltwater with Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix. It was settled almost completely this morning but I wanted to finish arranging the rocks so I did and now it's back to the place it was yesterday. That's why I'm afraid that that will happen again if I just let it sit.

12. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

yeah but you may have unsettled the sand while setting your rocks.... but i havent used that salt before so i got no clue on that

13. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

It'll probably clear up in time. I know you're excited but give it some time and it should settle.

14. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Thanks for the answers. :)
    Just one more question though...
    Every time I take out the filter pad and the filter floss on top of it it leaks a bit of the really cloudy water back into the tank and clouds it up a bit. Should I be cleaning the floss and the pad every few hours or should I clean it less often? If less often, how often would you suggest cleaning it? Thanks. :)

15. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

Every two hours would be good! Set your alarm and be prepared for a long night! :D

16. patrickb

patrickb Supporting Member

I would junk the filter pad (the one filled with carbon) and the filter floss. Stuff a bunch of small rock rubble back there. You can also turn one the chamber into a refugium i believe--there should me a 5 inch square of the black tape on the back removed were you can shine a light into.

17. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I personally like the filter pad because they are very effective in my BioCube 14. A lot of junk is caught by them and I can easily clean them.
    The middle chamber can be made into a refugium and I'm planning on getting a light for it and a skimmer for my birthday. I don't want the heat to be ran up by the T5 light made for the back of the tank so I think I might go with this. :)

18. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

The tank has cleared up now. :)

[​IMG]

I don't like the aquascaping in the back right. I'm probably going to get more rocks in a month or something. The back left is OK but it needs more rocks. And I still have to figure out something to do with the rocks in the front too.

19. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

Look pretty clear to me! Maybe you could do some kind of arch/ tunnel/ bridge type look. See if you can get a long & narrow one for that. I find aquascaping to always be fun.

20. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

To be honest I really actually hated how I aquascaped it. I redid it but the water got a bit cloudy, however I guess that's a good thing because now the rocks are free of debris and stuff. :)
    Here's how it looks now...

[​IMG]

It needs one more rock on the left side so I'm gonna go to All About Fish tomorrow and get a few more rocks. I'll try and get a big long flat rock to put across the top so that I can stack more rocks on top of it. I really like the featured tank on Nano-reef.com so I'm trying to go with kinda the same type of aquascaping. :)
    BTW the rock structure in the tank looks way better in real life than in the picture.