Reef nutrition

Euphyllia's BioCube 29 HQI

FTS: 8/4/11
2hwzqxc.jpg

Fish

- Two ORA Grade 'A' Picasso Percula Clownfish (Marino & Verde)

SPS

- Bali Green Slimer
- Blue Acropora awi
- Incredible Hulk Acropora
- ORA Frogskin
- ORA Plum Crazy
- Palmer's Blue Mille
- Tan slimer w/ green polyp tubes
- Tri-Color Acropora tortousa (?)
- Tyree Lime in the Sky Acropora

- Euphyllia's Bright Red Monti Cap
- Euphyllia's Jersey Shore Monti
- Green Montipora danae

- ORA Spongodes
- Orange Montipora digitata

- Purple Montipora danae

- Euphyllia's Teaser Bird of Paradise
- Green Polyp Orange Birdsnest
- ORA Bird of Paradise (?)
- ORA Green Birsdnest
- ORA Hyacinth Birdsnest (?)
- ORA Ponape Birdsnest
- Purple Birdsnest
- Silver Birdsnest

- Green Mystery Awesomepora
- Green Psammacora
- ORA Green Damicornis (?)

LPS

- Green w/ Yellow/Blue/Red Chalice
- Hollywood Stunner Chalice
- Blue/Red Acro

Zoas & Softies
]

- 3 polyps Magician knock-off colony
- 50 polyp Red Hornet colony
- 10 polyp Purple Hornet colony
- 4 red ricordea-yuma
- 3 polyp Rose Nebula colony

Inverts

- Peppermint Shrimp
- Turbo Snail
- Torchus Snail
- Margarita Snail
- Red Leg Hermits

Male Picasso
bdw6e8.jpg

Female Picasso
2ahto49.jpg

I just filled the tank up with 20 gallons of freshly mixed saltwater. I have a hard time believing that 30lbs of live sand and 20lbs of live rock take up 9 gallons. :|

Mr. Ugly said:
Haha... looks like a future aquarium shop owner :D

Sounds like good income. $)

eldiablosrt8 said:
Sounds like ur enjoying the new tank already

Yes I am very much. :bigsmile:

Update: I set up the tank this morning and I'm letting everything settle. It's cleared up a bit, but I've been out all day and I just got home to a filter pad covered in white stuff. Calcium I guess? I have 30lbs of live sand in the tank so that may be the cause. Hopefully the water will clear by tonight and I can finish arranging my LR.

The tank was less cloudy this morning so I finished working on the rocks and it clouded back up. Why is this happening? When I set up my other tanks it didn't take this long to settle. Why is the water so cloudy? I guess I'll start doing water changes if it doesn't clear up later today.

what sand did you use??? did you by natural sea water??? premade salt??? when i set up my 120 i used fine sand and i used aquarium concept water and i was cloudy for almost 36 hours

eldiablosrt8 said:
what sand did you use??? did you by natural sea water??? premade salt??? when i set up my 120 i used fine sand and i used aquarium concept water and i was cloudy for almost 36 hours

I don't know exactly what sand I used but it wasn't very fine. I got RO from All About Fish and mixed my own saltwater with Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix. It was settled almost completely this morning but I wanted to finish arranging the rocks so I did and now it's back to the place it was yesterday. That's why I'm afraid that that will happen again if I just let it sit.

Thanks for the answers. :)
Just one more question though...
Every time I take out the filter pad and the filter floss on top of it it leaks a bit of the really cloudy water back into the tank and clouds it up a bit. Should I be cleaning the floss and the pad every few hours or should I clean it less often? If less often, how often would you suggest cleaning it? Thanks. :)

I would junk the filter pad (the one filled with carbon) and the filter floss. Stuff a bunch of small rock rubble back there. You can also turn one the chamber into a refugium i believe--there should me a 5 inch square of the black tape on the back removed were you can shine a light into.

patrickb said:
I would junk the filter pad (the one filled with carbon) and the filter floss. Stuff a bunch of small rock rubble back there. You can also turn one the chamber into a refugium i believe--there should me a 5 inch square of the black tape on the back removed were you can shine a light into.

I personally like the filter pad because they are very effective in my BioCube 14. A lot of junk is caught by them and I can easily clean them.
The middle chamber can be made into a refugium and I'm planning on getting a light for it and a skimmer for my birthday. I don't want the heat to be ran up by the T5 light made for the back of the tank so I think I might go with this. :)

The tank has cleared up now. :)

fveplc.jpg

I don't like the aquascaping in the back right. I'm probably going to get more rocks in a month or something. The back left is OK but it needs more rocks. And I still have to figure out something to do with the rocks in the front too.

Look pretty clear to me! Maybe you could do some kind of arch/ tunnel/ bridge type look. See if you can get a long & narrow one for that. I find aquascaping to always be fun.

To be honest I really actually hated how I aquascaped it. I redid it but the water got a bit cloudy, however I guess that's a good thing because now the rocks are free of debris and stuff. :)
Here's how it looks now...

2yjscja.jpg

It needs one more rock on the left side so I'm gonna go to All About Fish tomorrow and get a few more rocks. I'll try and get a big long flat rock to put across the top so that I can stack more rocks on top of it. I really like the featured tank on Nano-reef.com so I'm trying to go with kinda the same type of aquascaping. :)
BTW the rock structure in the tank looks way better in real life than in the picture.

Back