Our mission

Euroreef skimmer goes crazy

My ER skimmer which has been producing good skimate, all of the sudden started acting strange. It's filling up the skimmer cup with clear skimate and this happens fairly quickly.
What's the cause of this? Is it the air intake tube getting obstructed with salt buildup? What's the remedy?

As I understand if the pump starts rattling the air tube could be caked/clogged with salt. The remedy would be to get a cup of ro/do and let the tube suck up the clean water which would dissolve away the salt.

The skimmer goes nuts when a filter sock is installed and the plasticizers (believe it or not that's a word) in the sock are not washed out.

or...

water conditioner i.e chlorine remover with slime coat additive is added or possibly a salt mixture that is used with a chlorine remover.

or...commonly frozen food that has a gel-binder. The formula one cubes of food, and apparently I just bought frozen plankton cubes that have gel-binder in it too.

I turn off my skimmer for a few hours, and let everything settle down before turning the skimmer back on.

I agree with all those casues :D

IMO it's salt build-up. Clean the air intake/venturi and pump.

I usually just let the tube suck up hot ro water to dissolve the salt buildup. But this time it didn't stop the skimmer from still going nuts. So i took the whole skimmer, and pump out. Clean them out really good, and now it's back to normal.

emergencydpt said:
When I feed cyclopeeze. I'm thinking of thawing the whole brick out and rinsing it in some cheesecloth then freezing it again.

Two words, freezewr burn

Two more, bursted cells

I really wouldn't do that if I were you.

Also, feeding almost always does the opposite, it crushes foam due to the fats and what not supressing the foam production. Yours increases with feeding?

Back